9. At-least once a year

I was homesick.

flashback —

Nora seemed really sheepish wanting to choose her words wisely. "Lady Martha had requested that I go check if Master William and Panashe were awake. I did not give it much thought as I simply opened the door without thinking. I'm very ashamed." She shied away, only being seventeen years old. It really gave her jitters, the thought of sex itself. Speaking of it with older women was even more taboo.

"What were they doing then? That has you aversive.." Doris rudely asked.

"Uh... I saw Master William without a stitch... on top of Panashe. I quickly closed the door, not wanting to get in trouble as I had already invaded their privacy." His backside is magnificent, she thought to herself. She could not get the image of William pummeling inside Panashe, out of her head. The sheets tangled and the moans and pleading from her lips. It seemed most pleasurable, the way every muscle of his body contoured as he ravaged her, his buttcheeks making remarkable movement into her. Her legs wrapped around his waist. It was like chocolate and caramel wrapped around each other making beautiful contrast. No wonder their child had turnt out beautifully. It was something she had never seen before and never thought she would see.

Doris only rolled her eyes. "If you must know, that's how my daughter earned her spot in that house by spreading her legs. If she isn't already pregnant then I do not know how she will maintain that spot."

Aunt Ruth then shook her head. "Will you ever have anything nice to say about your own daughter? She has done us proud. You might not see it that way but it gives everyone in the commune a little bit of hope that change is coming and that we will also be our own persons one day. Furthermore, with Christian being the new owner. We can only hope that when he takes over, he grants us our freedom... if not then we hope for better conditions. Doris, if Panashe was my daughter... I'd be beyond proud!"

Doris was quiet, a tad bit regretful.

"Aunty, I want to find my own white man and give him a child... God knows, I deserve better than this commune has to offer." Nora said dreamily. "Panashe wears like a lady now, she is glowing."

present time —

Embarrassed and beyond ashamed, I couldn't help the tears that cascaded down my cheeks. I couldn't control myself. I couldn't keep anything together. I was failing dismally. Lewis stared at me as I changed his napkin. Naive to everything around him. When he stared at me, I could sense confusion on his baby face.

flashback —

"Only pregnant women glow." Doris added.

"She is not pregnant Doris. Unless you have spoken to her then quit making up lies."

"Have you spoken to her then..?" Doris countered.

Aunt Ruth cleared her throat. "Here and there..."

Doris let out a shaky laugh. "I see what you're trying to archive huh? Because you killed all your offsprings now you're after mine? Pathetic. I raised that girl and made her what she is."

"Quit being obnoxious Doris. Panashe has only being giving us a wheat, flour sometimes loaves of bread some teabags and sugar that's all."

Doris was hurt.

"What?"

Nora was afraid of speaking but did anyways. "Not only that...she has been giving people at the commune things they really need. I suppose, everything seems better now. Remember the roof of the main commune kitchen was leaking water during the raining season? She spoke to William and they sent someone over to fix it. I really admire her, she is my role model."