16. Feeling a bit stuffy

I was never one to say no to a game of polo. I'd assumed not much occurred at plantations but to my surprise Austin and William had showed me around a couple of pubs and many other sights their town took pride in having. The conversation that I had with Nora the previous day kept replaying at the back of my mind. The horrible spiteful words she'd thrown at me, the horrible malicious I'd thrown back at her as well. I felt regretful. Most people thought of me to be soft because of the manner I chose to deal with situations. I'd grown up in a unyielding environment, my father was always mindful of his choices of words and actions towards others. My mother on the other hand was the opposite. I grew up nitpicking on their arguments and conflicts, nitpicking all the habits I did not want to take after my dear mother nor my father. I did not want to be a perfectionist but I'd at-least try to be the man I knew I could be capable of being. Violent was never one of them, rapist was never one of them either. The thought of her accusing me of it all, upset me. Filled me up with shame, I did not want to be that person. I watched Nora sit amongst the other women while nursing Lewis. I could've sworn she was happy, the way she interacted with everyone around her. As if yesterday was forgotten, my eyes hardly focused on the polo game. William and Austin competed but I had decided not today. Not when I did not the favour of having my favourite horse, not when all this was lowly troubling me.

"A beauty isn't she?" Someone said laying a hand on my shoulder. It caught me off guard. Had I been staring long enough to have someone notice? I turned to look at the man who had sat on the butler's seat. He looked about 5'9" tall, overweight much more pale than I was, this man had a determined feel about him. Deep dark brown eyes and his closely shaved, wavy, black hair with neat edging. He wore very modest and looked too confident.

I gave him a nod not trying to give away too much. I did not want to hold a conversation.

"How has she been?"

I found it concerning, who was he to question how she was? It made me very overprotective. Was he perhaps interested in her? I wouldn't doubt it for a second. Any sane man would go bullocks for Nora.

"Quite alright, Perhaps if you asked her yourself she'd have a more accurate answer for you..."

"Can't have that." He said looking around, as if deep in thought. It was quiet for some seconds. I remained stagnant in my seat observing the polo match. Austin seemed to be an aggressive player, who took defeat with rage.

"She has her grandmother's eyes." He said with a chuckle. "That's my little girl."

A bit surprised, I couldn't give a reaction. This was Nora's father. The despicable man she thought and spoke so ill of. Her reasoning for hating white men. Her apprehension for ending the agreement we had. We were perfectly fine until her aunt convinced her the worst would occur and she owed her mother some sort of peace making. Peace making that ended a good thing that we had going on.

"Nora?" I acted obliviously stunned.

"Yes, my Lord. Certainly not something you go around spewing to every random person. I thought to tell you or rather warn you." He added nonchalantly. I could tell he was a bit moneyed and was certainly doing well for himself. He reeked arrogance. Certainly made him have an unlikable nature.

"Warn me?" I chuckled.

"Sounds funny now but not when I beat you to a pulp young man. You might be related to the royal family and all those two timers who do nothing but live extravagantly while leaving the economy in shambles but I swear on my mother's grave if you touch my daughter. I won't hesitate to dispose of you in my farm."

"That's a bit rich coming from a rapist. Oh darn shouldn't we be uplifting each other?"

"Oh please, is that what she told you?"