20. Dear Gerry Wickham

Dear sir.

As I write to you, I've ran out of options. As I write to you, I'm in tears. The past four months have been hell and back. Master William's wife informed me that you're my owner. I'd assume we don't have an relationship and you've always loathed the sight of me but I beg you from the bottom of my heart please come fetch me. I can not reside here any longer, I can not hide my being four months pregnant anymore. I assumed, I'd be able to live through it but I know deep down. The time when I had to leave would come. Dutchess insists I've gained a lot of weight therefore I'm taking advantage of her kitchen. She hasn't allowed me to have a meal since the last 3 days. She has become abusive and takes any opportunity to ill treat me. I do not mind working at the Wickham Plots. I know and understand nothing will ever be free. I pray you receive this letter. I'm certainly at my lowest, I refused to listen to those who cared about me because I'd assumed I was grown. I understand you're my father but regardless you owe me nothing.  I'd prefer if we never discussed about the father of my child. He is a poor hopeless nigger from the Gallagher plantations who can not do anything for me either. I'm not asking you to claim me as your daughter but all I'm asking is that you bring me home just until I deliver this child then I can return to the Gallagher plantations to my aunt. I'm not ready to face the consequences and people I looked down upon; all because I thought I knew better. I do not know any better, I never did. This isn't how I assumed life would lead to. The Armstrong's are horrible people, I can not reside here any longer. Anna's parents have promised to send out a letter to you and I trust them for they have been so wonderful to me. I do not think, I would have made it this far in my pregnancy if it weren't for them. I'm truly thankful.

You're my last hope.
I'm sorry for being a bother, I apologise.

Nora