22. Nora Lachner, seems fitting.

Author's note: Hugh has low sperm count but there wasn't enough technology back then to fully diagnose. Low sperm count can be caused by excessive smoking, depression, emotional stress, pressure etc. Having a low sperm count decreases the odds that one of your sperm will fertilize your partner's egg, resulting in pregnancy. Nonetheless, many men who have a low sperm count are still able to father a child.

"All the children are married now, leading their own lives. It's just Sally and I besides the help." Wickham told me, leading me into his extravagant Georgian home. The red brick semi-detached house offered huge amounts of space and character over its four floors. Original features abound, including covings, tiled fireplaces and wood bannisters, while the stunning rear garden also includes a versatile outbuilding. I was stunned, too impressed to say a word. He had a lovely home indeed.

"Mrs Sally is your wife?" I asked. He turned around and chortled. As he did, I watched him curiously. I made nearly the same sound when I giggled. It was rather odd that he had my characteristics. He was obviously the original, while I was a copy. Lady Martha may have been right. I did not know if I should loathe it or find it pleasant. I wasn't sure if I even liked him as a person. I was yet to learn whom he really was not whom I had been told he was.

"Goodness child, you will meet her soon."

It was then when I noticed a white and brown Jack Russell race across the room. Leaping onto him, she noticed me then gave me a threatening loud bark with gritted teeth. Wickham managed to calm her down. She seemed excited to see him and very energetic. Soon she warmed up to me allowing me to give her a pet on the head. Wickham then showed me the guest room I'd reside in. It was just as magnificent. I looked around eagerly, I could tell there was certainly a woman who had good taste. I couldn't have imagined Wickham maintaining such a beautiful homestead all on his own. Seemed too good to be true.

"You will reside here for as long as you want. Make yourself at home. Should I have them bring you something to eat?"

I shook my head. "No but thank you so much." Clearing my throat. "For everything. If I may ask for a favour?"

"Of course?"

"Please do not inform anyone I'm back in Marlborough."

"Why not?" He questioned.

"I— I'm n-not ready. They will ask questions."

"But did you not say the father of your child resides at the Gallagher plantations?"

"He does, but please allow me to settle in first before you interrogate me."

"Alright then, if you insist. You have not only yourself to think about now but your child as well." I stared blankly at him, knowing he was telling the truth. I had to think for two people? I was not taking the matter at hand as seriously as I should have. Even after he closed the door behind him, I stood there allowing my reality to sink in.

Hugh.

Always the sweetheart, Lily took the coat from my arm allowing me to kiss her on the cheek. Having not been home in a couple of weeks. Felt good to be back, there seemed to be a gathering that only meant there was a visitor. I had thought about another woman the whole time, I was away. It called for concern. It was hard enough residing in the same estate as her and seeing her every passing day; with full knowledge that there was nothing between us and all those distant memories seemed to have been forgotten. Truth of the matter, I could not contain the misery, I felt when she was far away. She could be in the same room but the distance between us was loud and uncomfortable for us both. I needed to see her, on my way back. I'd decided, I would speak to her alone... hard thought to process when all I wanted was kiss her madly and hold her against her chest. I missed having her whimper below me, breathtaking at every angle as I reminisced. I couldn't help but imagine how perfect she was. It felt so right yet in reality so wrong. She caught me quickly, it was hard to admit to myself that I loved this woman I'd spent the last few months swooning over. Nora made me question if I had ever been in love, if I actually loved Anna? The way she made me feel was different much stronger in presence and put me in misery. Perhaps I'd never actually been in love. I thought I was and had been but proved to be shambles the minute she came into my life.

"I will try my best not to get lost. If I had known, I would have went straight there. I appreciate all your help." I heard.

My mother nodded cheerfully. "She will definitely be there. There's no other place she could surely run off to."

The young man chuckled. "Hopefully she is as cheerful as I am to see her again."

"Surely! If she had time to wash up, iron your blazer and put it aside for you."

"He came to get Nora's address." Lily told me oblivious to it all.

"A tad bit flamboyant since she resides here."

"Not anymore."

I abruptly looked at Lily waiting for her to tell me it's all a banter. It had to be. Nora had decided to return to the plantations? That horrid place. She better preferred to reside there than here? I had so many questions when had she left? She left with whom? Mother allowed it.

"She can not just leave?" I hissed, realising how horrid I sounded, I composed myself. "For  Lou of course."

"Calm down darling. We have a guest." I heard my mother express fondly. "Nik this is my son, Hugh. Hugh this is Niklas, prime minister's son."

"Nice to meet you." We modestly shook hands.

"Likewise" I decided, I did not like him. He had a boyish green one that women would sworn over. Tall and Lean like myself, his dark hair and brown eyes were different from my blonde and forest green eyes. Why did he feel the need to visit Nora? Had he not received his blazer? Why was he unnecessarily chasing a woman who had no interest in white men? My mother and Lily excused themselves. I decided, I'd walk him to the door.

"Where to from here?"

"Marlborough, hopefully all goes well." He replied confidently. I needed to get there sooner was my own thought. I did not trust him. I felt overprotective of Nora. Still I found some sadness sworn in reminding me she was gone. I wouldn't see her whenever I wanted. She was miles away.

"What interests you so much as to travel far and wide..."

"My nana always said I'd marry a woman with blue eyes. When I met her, it felt right. I'm going to pursue her. As unbelievable as it sounds I've met many women with blue eyes and never felt this pulling factor. She is simply gracious. When I returned to Germany, I told my papa and he insisted I return if it kept bothering me."

I almost scoffed at the entire mediocrity.

"You do know that she is—"

He was quick to reply. "I know, in Germany we have a saying 'Der Liebe ist kein Wind zu kalt.' No wind is too cold for lovers."

His accent irked me, caused great irritation.

"You seem fairly convinced." I muttered.

"Your wedding made me yearn for my own indeed. Congratulations by the way."

"Oh yes... of course thank you."

Giving me a pat on the shoulder, he smiled. "If all goes well, this time next year we should be expecting. I look forward to it, I've never been so sure about anything in my entire life."

"She is rather the marriage before anything type." I countered uncomfortable with the entire conversation.

"I will marry her first, I'm not that uncultured. Would much rather have my child in wedlock."

"You're a good man." I thought, much better than I'd ever be to her or ever was.

"Thank you Armstrong."

"Off you go then, safe travels."

After seeing him off, I had an unsettling feeling to follow for the Marlborough route without informing anyone. Felt the urge to simply leave. It wasn't a competition, I was married. I'd remain married but she needed to know how she made me feel. Who was I lying to? I did not want her to marry him. Would she? Did she like him just as much as he liked her? I could not simply sit back and allow such to happen in front of my eyes. I felt the panic run within my veins at the thought of her being with another man. I needed to leave and get there first. I needed to be there— but I wasn't ready to leave my life or royal duties. It was a bad idea, forcing myself to accept defeat. I couldn't, my chest refused to take it.

"Nora Lachner. Seems fitting, what a lucky girl." My mother entered the room.

This had me, I had to leave.

15 votes + 20 comments