13. I'm a kind man

The place she called home, reeked sadness. Every corner I turned to my eyes met those of the helpless and vulnerable as their heads turned to look up from their harvesting in the dumps. Mother's with children on their back, drenched in sweat, soiled with the day's labour. I saw white men survey around roughly with whips. I saw grown strong black men being belittled and spoken to like little boys. There was no happiness and certainly no smiles. As the carriage went past the plantation onto the main house. There was no need to be told we had arrive. I could sense it. There was no liveliness. Not within the servants that had welcomed us. The atmosphere was dry, I could not imagine living in a small town this buttoned up with fear and suppression. She seemed happy to be here.

"Oh goodness!!!" A woman who seemed to be my mother's age-mate said from a three story balcony. "I will be right down!" There was certainly no denying what a beautiful home this was in pastoral rural plots of a woefully small town. Perhaps my judgement was coming from a place of having grown in the city, castles, palaces and villa's. I was not accustomed to empty land and sheep grazing just across the road, a neighbour being 3km away. It was beautiful, greener than most places, I could never say peaceful. There was some sense of blue devils. The quietness was too much, too suspicious. The quietness was rather scary especially with the amount of men and women, I'd seen working tirelessly in the field.

"That's Lady Martha, Master William's mother. She is also some type of royalty, you will get along well." Nora told me as I looked around. It was the first time, she'd spoken to me voluntarily. I reckon she was still upset about the night before. I'd decided that I would not bother pushing for her to speak about something she had not even accepted herself. Of course, I was curious and dying to know the mystery she portrayed but I respected her enough not to bring it up again. Especially after I saw her cry.

"Splendid." I muttered looking around.

"What do I owe the pleasure of having the Duke of Winchester visit us?" The woman I'd known to be Lady Martha said cheerfully inviting us over to the porch. My eyes were too glued on the man that was helping with the luggage, he could not stop smiling at Nora, neither could she as she held Lewis in her arms.

"My father was the duke..." I smiled awkwardly.

"All the same child, all the same!!! His title is your title. What a handsome young man you've grown to be, you look so much like Alfred." Lady Martha led us onto the porch. "Have a seat."

"I'd be lying if I said I did not get that a lot." I replied taking a seat. She was quick to give Nora and Lou all her attention. My mother had told me so much about her but none of them graceful. I knew, I owed it all to Lady Martha who had suggested Nora as a nanny. She certainly had a good eye because Nora had grown to have an amazing bond with Lou.

"You've certainly gained a bit of meat since your move to London. The duke is treating you well, I see." Lady Martha added. In all honesty it was true and it came from a good place. When is first met Nora was as thin as a stick but with the buffet and food options the kitchen presented daily. I could definitely see why she'd put on a bit of weight. It looked good on her. "Emeka, do tell Philip to get the tea ready. We will be sat here on the porch. Put the duke's belongings in the main guest room on the second floor. As well as Nora, she is after all here with a child. She can not reside at the commune."

"Yes, Ma'am." He said with a nod, I watched Nora distractedly watch him with fondness. He displayed just as much happiness. I only felt further aggravation being called a duke even when I had corrected her.

"Such a shame William and Panashe left to go visit the Cunninghams. Not to be a gossip but I hear Austin and Merri had a bit of a brawl they need a peacemaker but I digress."