12. My father is a rapist

I was searching for my tobacco pipe when I found a paper rolled into it. She must have known that one way or another I'd have a smoke. I had a feeling, I already knew what awaited me. It aggravated me to no end.

Dear Miles

I've contemplated this decision for a while now. I thought it would be best if I saved us both the trouble. We've been together for the past two years and I can not deny that the love grew between us and withered. We've been through so much together. I've watched you happy, broken, upset and the emotions there is. You're kind hearted, you're selfless, you're not judgemental. All the things I wish I could find in any other man. You're compassionate and thoughtful. There is so much I could say about you but truth of the matter is I love you dearly. We do not have to act upon our feelings. I only want you to know how I feel. It has taken me so much courage but suppose, I feel the need to as I see a posed threat between us.

Nora is not a good person. I've seen it all firsthand, she might play stupid and illiterate but she has ill intentions. With all this travelling you've been doing with her, I can't help but feel threatened. I will be honest, she is a rather beautiful girl but not everything that shines is gold. Do not take a while to realise who your heart lays with. I hope you're impressed, thanks to you here I am. Writing you a letter. You cared for me when I was illiterate. You did not judge me, you only pushed for me to better myself. I thought I was special until I heard you did the same thing with Nora but I digress.

I slipped this in your luggage as to surprise you. I hope it finds you in a good mood.

Stay well.
Kiss Lewis for me.

Love
Bea

Before Nora entered the room with Lewis in her arms, I quickly hid the letter in the inside pocket of my blazer. Lewis had just finished his bath. He seemed excited and wouldn't stop smiling at Nora. I watched her dress him up. I felt an annoyance goes all over my body. This— whatever it may have been with Beatrice was exactly what I had not planned for it to go. I had helped her learn because I thought it was the right thing to do, same for Nora even though she had turned it down. I thought literacy skills were a must have for anyone, it wasn't because I had a motive to bed them or even worse that I liked them.

"A few more hours Lou..." Nora cooed lowly to Lewis who responded with energetic movements of his arms and legs.

"Will your parents be present?" I asked out of curiosity.

Nora only scoffed. "What parents?! I only have my aunt Ruth."

"Oh..."

"She won't like you." Nora said almost immediately. "Just so you know."

"Why?" I asked.

"I know she won't. Please do not embarrass me. Do not look at me in any way, do not act as if we've done anything, be decent."

I watched her sorely focused on Lou before she lifted her head up and her eyes met mine.

"Do you realise once you've been intimate with someone, every gesture you make can be a quick tell as to how acquainted you're to each other? The way people hug, the way they hold hands, the way—" I stood up to wrap my arms around her from behind. I couldn't help but feel aroused having her in this position. "It's inevitable." She bent down to dress up Lewis clearly ignoring me. At the thought of Nora in my bed, I lost all thoughts of worry and responsibilities.