1: A Day In The Sapphire Kingdom

When the first rays of sunlight struck the snow covered mountains of Adamite, the city of crystals commenced its blinding glistening. Everything from the smallest homes in the main village to the colossal palace of sapphires was entirely made of crystals.

The Sapphire Kingdom sparkled and cast distorted rainbows upon any surface due to the refraction of the sunlight. The addition of snow, added to the dazzling image of the scenery.

The people of the kingdom, the elf race, began their daily tasks. The blacksmith commenced his hammering on an anvil to produce the most intricate and useful tools and weaponry. The baker fired up his ovens to bake his breads and sweets. Children started waking up in their warm homes and their parents began their jobs. The elders and most magic proficient alchemists, worked on their experiments and advancements.

One could say life was serene in this delightful land. However, within the diamond encrusted walls of the sapphire palace, life started in quite a different manner.

Maids and servants hurriedly scurried along the large hallways of the castle, drawing every curtain, lighting the chimneys, and preparing breakfast for the soon to be awakened prince. The night shift guards retired to their homes, and the day time ones took their places. The animals of the stables were fed and the royal garden trimmed to perfection.

Inside the tallest tower of the palace, the prince's bed chamber was still dark. The sound of light snoring and sleepy mumbling in the room was a sign that the young prince was still not awake.

"Prince Artemis?" A young handmaid knocked politely on the Prince's door.

Artemis rolled over in his sleep and sank further into the silk and swan feathered bed.

"Your majesty, you must get up now." The maid knocked again. Seeing as there was no response, she said: "I'm coming in your highness, please pardon me."

The handmaid entered the obscure room and went to the curtains covering the light from the balcony doors. She drew them open and the golden sunlight streamed to flood the room. Instantly, the light bounced off the walls and illuminated the different amethysts, diamonds, and sapphires of the room. With the light, one could appreciate the decor of the prince's room.

There was a polished deep indigo anatase desk filled with parchment scrolls, scattered ink bottles, and peacock plumes. The stool was made of the finest sheep wool in the kingdom and covered with hand embroidered silk of intricate designs.

The walls were covered in spider web silk and had columns of aquamarine crystals every few distances. There was another, more elongated, desk opposite of the prince's bed that was filled with alchemy instruments and
potion making tools. Chests with valuable objects, sapphire and gold candle chandeliers, and filled onyx bookshelves were also present.

The prince muttered his protests from the sunlight as he turned away and placed the pillow on his head. The maid approached the prince, her long red hair done into a braid and her green eyes shining. She was dressed in the customary white dress for maids and her elvish ears were adorned in golden earrings.

"Your majesty, the sun has risen. You must get ready for your meeting with the ambassador of Ezamore at once." The maid gently lifted the pillow.

"That's today, Dia?" Artemis turned over to face her, eyes squinted.

"Yes your highness."

Artemis rubbed the tiredness in his eyes away and inhaled as he lifted his thin frame from the bed. Dia picked up the light blue robe of the prince that was draped over an armchair and put it over him.

"I will get the bath water ready your highness." Dia bowed her head respectfully and scurried away to prepare the bath. Artemis yawned and small tears prickled his eyes.