33: Undeserving Of My Apology

"As the last item in the agenda, your majesty, there is a pressing matter you must be aware of." Josiah said, an enchanted quill scribbling the words spoken on parchment.

"Ah yes. The elders also wish for you to know this." Gail pushed up his glasses and wrote on his own scroll.

"What is it?" Artemis shifted in his seat to adjust the weight of his belly on his body.

"Well, I spoke with Dr. Bloodfern a few days ago, and it was revealed that you might be carrying more than one child in your womb." Josiah's eyes flickered to the swelled abdomen of the king consort. "The other possibility is that you only have one heir, but a certain issue arises. Lamia is ruled by patriarchy on royalty, your majesty, therefore we have to openly discuss the situation."

"Do not forget, Sapphire is also ruled by a prince, not a princess. The council has expressed they will not accept a female heir." Gail interjected.

"I don't have control over the gender of the baby." Artemis frowned. "We'll have to make do whether it is born as a girl or a boy."

"I'm deeply sorry your majesty, but that is not how things work." Josiah sighed and shook his head. "If you have a single baby, which turns out to be a male, then more than likely when the crown of Lamia and Sapphire are passed on, the child will be the sovereign of both. Gail and I have spoken to the council of Sapphire and they agree that if that's the case, then a full merging of the kingdoms will be set in motion."

"On the other hand," Gail continued. "If you bear a female only child, then I'm afraid the council and the pre-established Lamian laws have decided you shall become pregnant again. We hope you will have a male in that time, but if not, then it must be repeated until a male heir is produced."

"The other case, your highness, is that if you have twins and both are male, then each one will rule either kingdom. However, if you have two females, then you must become pregnant again. If it turns out one is a boy and the other a girl, then only the boy will be allowed to rule."

Artemis scorned angrily at the ambassadors and held his stomach. He shook his head and scoffed:

"Unbelievable. This is an outrage, th-this is nonsense! I have no control over how many children I will have now, or their genders! Why must I be pregnant until I bear a male child?!"

"It is simply the duty of the queen, but in this case, you, the king consort." Josiah spoke coldly. "Millenia of tradition must not be broken for a single occurrence, we cannot change these laws, and unfortunately, neither can you or the king."

"They are the fundamentals of the Lyra and Crow royal families, your majesty." Gail looked apologetic at Artemis. "Nothing can be done."

Artemis made incoherent sounds that were supposed to be an argument. He stared sadly at his stomach and exhaled heavily. He knew Lamia and Sapphire had always been ruled by men, but he never knew just how strict the rules were.

The fruit of Artemis's womb bore a weight heavier than any other heir. It had to satisfy both kingdoms or be rejected entirely. Not only that, but Artemis now had a pressure he never thought he'd have to worry about. He didn't want to be pregnant until he had a boy, and neither would he neglect a daughter. Whatever the gender, they would still be his children. Was that really what was expected of him?

Would everyone turn against him if he was never capable of producing a male heir?

"For now, no firm decisions must be made your highness." Josiah broke the silence. "This is an awareness meeting. Once you give birth, then formal proceedings shall be made."

Josiah and Gail excused themselves and left the meeting room.

Artemis's mood plummeted as now he was worried about the hardships that awaited his baby as soon as it was born.