3: The Coffins Open At Night

Lamia wasn't actually far from the Sapphire Kingdom. It was at most one hour on foot, and fifteen minutes flying. Hades flew southbound and eventually reached the cobble stone streets of his kingdom when he crossed the magical barrier that hid it.

Instantly, the sound of carriages and horses' hooves clacking against the cobble stone hit his ears. People had already come out from their day time sleep and were beginning their nights. Hades usually preferred to use shadows to transport himself, but this time he wanted to take in the sophisticated beauty of the kingdom he ruled.

Lamia was poorly lit since vampires had excellent night vision. The light was really there as decoration for the Victorian style cottages and buildings. People were also dressed in the fashion of the era, everyone from the peasants to the nobles.

As a royal pureblood vampire, Hades had certain perks lower ranking ones lacked. One of them, was that he could transport himself anywhere as long as there was enough darkness. Another one he had rarely used was a hypnotic power. If he stared into the soul of a person long enough, he could in a sense "posses them" and they would do as he commanded.

Being a royal pureblood was enjoyable most of the time, but there were certain things Hades disliked about his own nature.

For example, every non-vampire is under the notion that all vampires have a strict diet on blood and can eat nothing else. While that is true for his citizens, Hades was different. He rarely hungered and in fact, he ate regular food as mostly a recreational hobby. However, Hades had certain days every so often where he needed blood, and not just any type of animal blood or vampire blood. Hades needed specifically elves' blood.

Hades was always careful about not leaving tracks in his feeding times, he didn't want to start a war with Sapphire. Not because he was fearful or incapable of winning, it was simply because war was tiring. So, he resorted to preying on elves on the brink of death or recently deceased.

The second thing, and perhaps the thing that Hades despised the most, was his breeding period. Unlike other vampires who have pre destined mates, Hades doesn't have one. He can choose any partner he desires, but the downfall is that he will have raging heats from time to time until he mates. But vampires mate for life.

If Hades were to mate and mark an individual, then their bond would be sealed and could never be broken. Even if his partner died, Hades would still be bonded to them until he died. The bond is so strong it has led to countless insanity cases in his kingdom. Vampires were indeed immortal to everyone who tried to kill one, but a loophole existed which was that only a vampire can kill a vampire.

Hades led a solitary life, and he wished to keep it that way. Whenever he entered a breeding period, he would stay locked up in his chamber and order for willing men and women to be sent to him. He would mate with random people until his heat subsided, but he had to always stay conscious enough to avoid marking one by accident. 

Hades had no intentions of ever mating for life, but he couldn't deny he felt repulsed by his instinctual urges and wished for their end.

After some minutes, Hades finally reached his castle which was built from and within the closest mountain. The castle was constructed with Gothic architecture and the gargoyles added a dark touch to the atmosphere.

As Hades entered and closed the door, his guards and servants bowed. His guards weren't really all that useful since Hades was more than capable of protecting himself, but formalities.

"Hades Crow!" A woman called as she descended the main staircase leading to the chambers.

"Shit." Hades exclaimed as he desperately looked for a shadow to blend into.

He found one between the window and a column, and blended. He felt something shove him out of the shadow and his mother raised her chin.

"Hi mother." Hades greeted reluctantly.

"You skipped etiquette lesson again Hades." His mother scolded. "You are the king of vampires. You must show discipline and commitment above everyone else. You haven't even chosen a mate, how will you ever provide an heir to the throne?"

"Please mother it's too early for this. Can we do this later?" Hades begged at his mother.

"Nonsense child, you're coming with me and we are having a long talk."

His mother smacked his nose with her royal blue fan and walked away with her voluminous Victorian dress trailing after her.

Despite holding the title of Queen Crow, Hades' mother didn't play a role in leading Lamia. The queen only played the role of governess to the prince until he became king, and then she would become the advisor.

Hades grumbled and followed his mother to the royal library. She scolded him for a few minutes, proceeded with her etiquette lesson, and then scolded him once more about not having a mate yet.

He was finally allowed to retreat to his chamber and he removed his clothes. He put on some black silk pants but no shirt. Hades leaned over the granite fence of his balcony and stared ahead beyond the forest.

This was precisely the reason he left to the forest so often. He didn't have royal duties, he would only be taught and scolded by his mother. If that wasn't the case, he would still be constantly bored and haunted by painful memories. Life was so predictable and mundane that sometimes Hades failed to see the point of even waking up night after night.

One would think that vampires needed their king to lead them and protect them, but vampires were even too self-sufficient in those senses. For a few years now, everyone knew the culture and consequences, therefore there was no need to enforce it. Everyone was so disciplined.

More often than not, Hades couldn't help but even feel useless. He sometimes felt like a place holder stuck in a repetitive life until he grew a beard and told his son to kill him for the crown. Tonight had been the most interesting night of his life. Meeting Prince Artemis was a change perhaps Hades would willingly pursue.