17: The Guest of Horror

"Your majesty, Princess Ignis has requested the addition of a new room where you and her will sleep together after the wedding day. Will you be complying with her request?"

"What's wrong with my room?" Artemis scorned as he looked at his ambassador. However, after he said those words his mind reminded him exactly what was wrong with it.

"Oh . . . That's where, yeah. That happened. I get it." Artemis thought.

"She didn't say, but she was very clear about having that done. The Princess really does know what she wants." Gail, the ambassador, chuckled.

Artemis sighed and signed the approval of the construction of a new room in the castle.

Now more than ever, he was constantly reminded that he would marry soon. In exactly a month and a half, he was to hold a glamorous wedding in his palace and swear to be faithful to the Princess of Ezamore. He found it annoying that Gail now pestered him every day with details about the wedding.

"Is that all?" Artemis arched an eyebrow as he stared at him bored and resting his face on his hand.

"Almost, your majesty." Gail adjusted his oversized circular glasses. "There's actually one last item on the agenda."

Artemis grumbled silently, he wanted to leave already. That and he was also excited about tonight's ball.

The elders didn't approve of him inviting the Crow royal family, of course, but he used the power he held as a Prince to get his way. Artemis is usually all about doing things with the majority's approval, but this time he pulled the autocracy card on his elders.

"The elders have asked me to read this message to you." Gail cleared his throat as he looked at a parchment scroll. "It reads, Dear Prince Artemis, you pushed upon us your request in regards to the Crow family attending tonight's ball, so consider this an equal exchange. We will raise security in the ball and give them the customary royal announcement, so that everyone may know whom they're sharing air with. Regards, the Elder Alchemy Council."

"Clearly they don't seem happy about that." Artemis scoffed as he rolled his eyes.

"Oh they're not alone your highness. They didn't mention it in this letter, but they did take the liberty of announcing the presence of vampires in the kingdom tonight. The people are not very pleased about the news. In fact, rumor has it your popularity has dropped dramatically."

"Well, they're stuck with me until I die, so they can suck it up and move on! Is that all?!"

"Y-Yes, your majesty."

Artemis had risen from his desk and he turned to leave the conference room to the library.

Maybe he should worry about the fact that people have started to dislike him, but Artemis was being torn apart because of them. If they didn't insist on their tradition keeping and just let him and Hades be everything would be perfect. If only they stopped being hung up on the past and realized a century is more than enough time for an entire species to change he wouldn't be the mental mess he is now.

Artemis sighed and pressed his back against the door as he slid down. He didn't want to marry that princess, he was already in love with Hades. The thought of never seeing him again tore him apart. It was so cruel. How could he ever get out of this situation? He couldn't just flee the kingdom, who would govern it? It would fall apart. If he refused to marry Ruby then would that mean war with Ezamore?

"Dear Luna, what kind of mess am I in?" Artemis exhaled. "I don't know what to do."

As the day progressed, Artemis was asked to oversee the preparations of the ball at the ballroom. Eventually, and luckily for him, Dia came to steal him away so he could get ready for the party.