6: Dancing In Foreboding Silence

Upon arrival back at the Sapphire castle, the moon was already creeping to its position in the center of the night sky. Artemis and Dia entered the castle, it was dark inside since the only light available was that from the candles and open windows.

"Dia you can go right ahead to your room. I'll go back to mine." Artemis told his handmaid.

"Are you sure, your majesty? I can certainly accompany you." Dia asked.

"Don't worry about me, go on right ahead. We had a long day."

"Alright, most kind of you your highness. Please get a good night's rest."

"Thank you. You too rest well, Dia."

Dia bowed and left the main room to walk towards the side of the palace that housed the servants. Artemis exhaled quietly and turned his body towards the north hall to go to his tower.

"Man, I thought she'd never leave." Artemis heard Hades' voice speak from the dark. His heart leapt out of his chest, startled.

"Hades don't do that!" Artemis whispered as he clutched his chest. "Where even are you?! How did you get past the guards?!"

"It's quite easy when you elves have awful night vision."

Artemis felt a cool breeze on his left and he then heard Hades say in his ear:

"Boo."

The prince jumped and backed away from Hades. Artemis finally saw him floating and laying on his side, resting his head on his right arm, as he pretended to pick something from his nonexistent bed. Artemis grumbled and turned around to leave. He wouldn't get entangled with him. Not anymore, not tonight, not ever.

"Rude." Hades scoffed as he flew towards Artemis to follow him.

He was sprinting up the hundreds of stairs and hallways to get to his tower. When he finally reached the top, he looked behind himself to see if Hades was still there. Luckily he wasn't, and Artemis giggled triumphantly. He opened the door to his bed chamber and saw Hades laying down on his bed upside down saying:

"About time you got here."

Artemis grumbled and slapped his face as he shut the door.

"Damn flying, dark blending, annoying vampires!" Artemis cursed.

"What do you want Hades? I thought you were upset with me since last night." Artemis demanded as he removed his earrings and was about to strip, but stopped when he remembered Hades was watching him.

Hades shrugged and smiled. Artemis rolled his eyes and directed his attention to the new item on his desk. He picked up a card attached to a basket filled with cheeses, delicacy fruits, nuts, and wine, and read it.

"What is that?" Hades asked.

"A gift from the princess of Ezamore." Artemis replied in a bored tone as he opened the basket to get a grape.

"Why are you getting gifts from her?"

"It's a courting gift. I sent her a bouquet of flowers made entirely of precious gems a few days ago."

"Hold up hold up." Hades shook his head. "Courting gifts? Flowers? Is she your girlfriend or what?"

"Well, she's soon to be my fiancée next week and my future wife." Artemis leaned against the desk and filled a glass of wine. "So, sort of."

Something about Artemis being engaged made Hades bitter. He hid his reaction under a hearty laugh and said:

"You don't even sound happy about it."