5: Royally Distressed!

"Dammit!" Hades slammed his fists against the doors of his wooden armoire.

"Stupid elf prince! How could he be so careless and idiotic and make himself bleed in the presence of a vampire?!" Hades questioned in his mind.

The royal vampire had been disturbed about his encounter with Artemis all night and even the day. It was at least ten in the morning and he still hadn't managed to sleep a single time. He was questioning his stability and Artemis's naïve nature.

Hades walked to the black out curtains of his balcony and slightly opened one. When he did, the thin ray of light instantly blinded his left eye and seared his skin. He staggered back, wincing in pain. A thin reddish line immediately formed on his face, and Hades sighed.

Something wasn't right. Why was he thinking about this so much? And why did it matter whether Artemis was being purposely careless or not? He shouldn't be shaken by either one. He is Hades Crow, the biggest, most ruthless heartbreaker Lamia has ever know. But perhaps he'd run out of luck the second he crossed the line of his territory to Sapphire. Vampires and elves were completely different species, that was a fact.

It was becoming too dangerous to see Artemis. The temptation to go further from what they did last night was increasing, and Hades' mental turmoil too. As of late, he just couldn't shake the prince off his mind. His beautiful eyes, his body form, and even his company. He wanted to know him better, share the night with him. But why?

If he ceased contact with Artemis, he would think his behavior affected him. In reality it did, but Hades' pride would never let him admit to that. Thus, Hades decided he would return to Sapphire tonight and continue to mess with the prince. After all, Prince Artemis was a fun game to cure his boredom.

****

Artemis was kneeling on a cushion, as the highest sign of respect, before the altar in the castle's chapel in honor of Luna. Her image was painted in oil and was framed in pure gold. His palms were neatly rested on his thighs and his back was straight.

Artemis moved a lit incense stick around in the shape of a crescent moon and bowed his head. He closed his eyes and inhaled deeply.

"Luna, please I need your guidance." Artemis prayed. "I don't know what to think of Hades. Is he friend or foe? I don't understand any of the things he does or says. About last night, please don't doom me for committing such an atrocity. I know that was contact that was not blessed by you, thus it is a sin. Please forgive me, mighty Luna."

Artemis opened his eyes halfway, staring down at the frozen sphere containing a black rose. He placed it back on its stand on the altar, and in that instant he heard a polite knock on the door.

Dia swung the door ajar and kneeled immediately as she spoke:

"Your majesty, the carriage is ready."

She closed the door and Artemis looked up at his guide one last time before picking up the incense and making a full moon, signaling the end of his prayer. He stood up and walked backwards towards the door. Once he opened it and stepped out, he turned around and exhaled.

Artemis squared his shoulders and lifted his chin up, collecting himself. His guards and Dia bowed and they followed him to the outside of the palace towards the carriage.

The prince was dressed today in a black and gold outfit. His pants were all black and loose, with golden borders at his ankles. Tiny beads of diamonds and onyx stones hung from the thin golden chain belt he wore at his hips. His top was a sleeve less one with a tall neck and matching color patterns.