NINE

.

Fives P.O.V

I wake up to warmth surrounding the left side of my body. Whatever was beside me moves closer, and I open my eyes. Looking down I see Carter snuggled into my side. She looks so peaceful, with her head on my chest and a slight smile on her face. Absentmindedly I play with a strand of her hair, as I look down at her.

Hearing someone clear their throat, I look away from Carter and lock eyes with Luther. "Alright, you have some explaining to do." He tells me. So I do. I explain everything from when I got to the apocalypse to when I got out. "When's it supposed to happen? This apocalypse." Was the first thing Luther asked.

"I can't give you the exact hour, but-" I start but was cut off.

"We have four days left." Carter says sleepy. Her head was still lying on my chest and I was still playing with her hair, but none of us moved. In fact Carter snuggled closer and rapped her arm around my waist.

"Why didn't you say something sooner?" Luther asked slightly angered.

Shaking my head, I answer. "It wouldn't have mattered."

"Of course it would. We could've banded together and helped you try to stop this thing." Luther argues.

"For the record, You already tried." Carter tells him. Luther looked at her with a look that said 'What do you mean?' So she elaborated. "He found all of you. Your bodies. You die horribly. Uh, you guys were together, trying to stop whoever it was that ends the world."

"Wait, how do you guys know that?" Luther asks.

I take the eye out of my pocket with a little bit of difficult, since Carter was lying with her head on my chest, then hand it to Luther. "This was clutched in your dead hand when I found you. Must've ripped it out of their head right before you went down." I tell him.

"Whose head?" Luther asks.

"Don't know." Carter answers.

"Well, there's a serial number on the back. Think maybe you could try-" Luther tried.

He was cut off by Carter however. "That's a dead end. Already tried it. Just another hunk of glass." She chuckles as Luther hands the eye back to me.

Carters P.O.V

Just as Luther hands the eye back to Five, Diego busts the door open. "Piece of shit. Do you have any idea what you just did?" He yells at Five. I jump out of the bed and hold Diego up off the ground, so he doesn't do anything to hurt Five. "Nope, let me- get your vampire hands off of me!" Diego tries to get out of my hold, but it doesn't work.

"I'll do this as long as it takes for you to calm down." I tell him. He struggles a little before giving up. Once I know he's not trying to kill Five anymore, I put him down. "Alright, now are you gonna tell us what you're talking about?"

Diego answers my question, but directed it towards Luther. "Our brothers been pretty busy since he got back. The vampire, too. They were in the middle of that shootout at Giddy's, and then at Gimble brothers, after the guys in masks attacked the Academy, looking for Five."

"None of which is any of your concern." Five states.

"It is now. They just killed my friend." Diego grumbles. Everyone went silent, not knowing what to say to the angered man.

"Who are they, Five?" Luther asks, turning around to look at the boy.

After a long pause, Five answers. "They work for my former employer. A woman called The Handler. She sent them... to stop me. Then, soon as Diego's friend got in the way, well, fair game."

"Be more sensitive, Five." I growl at said boy. "His friend just died."

"And now they're my fair game. And I'm gonna see to it they pay." Diego tells Five, before walking to the door.

"That would be a mistake, Diego. They've killed people far more dangerous than you." Five warned.

"Yeah, we'll see about that." Diego said as he walked out, slamming the door behind him.

It was silent until I tried to break it. "Well, he's pissed." I state the obvious.

Ignoring me, Luther turns to Five. "Former employer? What's this really about, Five? And don't give me any of this 'it's none of your business' crap, alright?" Luther rants as I go and sit beside Five on the bed.

"Well, it's a long story. They turned me into the perfect instrument for rehabilitation of the time continuum. Or 'corrections', as they called them. I wasn't the only one. There are others like me. Beings out of time, fractured, extracted from the lives that they knew. I don't know how they got there. But I do know that none of them were as good as me. They didn't realise it, But I was biding my time, trying to figure out the right equation so I could get back. If I could just get back, I knew I could stop the apocalypse. Save the world. So I broke my contract." Five explained.

"So... you were a hit man?" Luther questions, while handing both me and Five a cup of coffee and a sandwich.

"Yes." Five shortly answers.

"Uh... I mean, you had a code, right? You didn't kill just anybody." Luther asks, hoping his brother didn't kill the innocent.

But he was proven wrong when Five shook his head. "No code. We took out anyone who messed with the timeline."

"What about innocent people?" Luther asks, sounding like a kicked puppy.

"It was the only way I could get back here." Five explains.

"But that's murder." Luther protests.

I roll my eyes. "At least he didn't kill people for fun. Or food. You do what you got to do to survive. grow up, Luther." I tell him, ready to just get up and leave.

"We're not kids anymore." Five adds on. "There's no such thing as good guys or bad guys. There's just people, going about their lives. But when the world ends, all those people die, including our family. And Carter's family. Time changes everything."