Sorta Family

(Y/N)

      Tommy and I walked back into the house. A few hours had gone by and we were getting pretty cold from playing in the snow with the animals.

      "So, we should probably set up the extra mattress for (Y/N) now."

      I perked up when hearing my name and leaned back, Tommy doing the same, as we listened in on what the adults were talking about.

     "Where though? They can't sleep out here or the living room. It's too crowded."

     "Why not set it up in the guests room?"

     "But Tommy's sleepin' in there."

     "And?"

      "What do you mean 'and'? You want to put two kids in the same room together?"

     "Yeah, what's so bad about it?"

      "They-"

     "Oh, don't give me that. You're just jealous Tommy found someone else to get close to. I saw how you were when we heard he was exiled. The only reason you even let him in here was because you wanted to take Will's place. You want to be his role model now."

     "Phil, that's not true..."

     "I'm your dad, Techno. Don't think I overlook these things." The man let out a sigh. "You see how he talked about (Y/N). Don't try and separate them. You won't help anyone." This time Techno was the one to sigh, followed closely by a laugh from Phil. "C'mon then, let's go set up that mattress."

     Their footsteps echoed down the stairs and Tommy and I finally entered the living/dining space.

     I turned, grinning cheekily at the blonde, "What did that mean? 'You see how he talked about (Y/N)'?"

     Tommy glanced at me, the smallest tint of pink on his face. "Don't ask me! They're just family being family. We tease each other all the time."

     I let out a light laugh, "Alright." My smile slowly disappeared and I glanced at the floor. Not like I know how families work anyway.

     "What was that?"

     Whoops, did I say that out loud? I looked back up at Tommy, smiling awkwardly, "No, it was nothing."

     He eyed me suspiciously, "Uh huh. If somethings bothering you you can tell me. Okay?"

     I felt a warmth spread through me at his words. I'm really glad I had him as a friend. Although... I can'g help but think I want more than that... I shook the thoughts away. "It's just..." I sighed. "I've never had a family so I guess I'm just jealous in a way."

     "Oh."

     I widened my eyes, waving my hands apologetically. "Sorry! I think I phrased that wrong, I don't mean that I don't like seeing your family happy, it's just-"

     "Shut up," he laughed. "I know what you mean." He sent me a gentle smile, "I know you don't really have a family related by blood but, and this is going to sound cheesy, as long as you have people who care about you then they can be like your family. Y'know that friend that I had? I considered him family. Not by blood but by relationship. So, Aster's like your family." He smiled and hesitantly continued, "I care about you and I think you care about me so we'd kind of be like a family too."

     I blinked, talking in what he said. Something about it made me feel bubbly inside but I tried to push it down, smiling at my friend. "Thanks,  Tommy. And yes, I do care about you too."

     He laughed,  "I'm relieved."

     I grinned. I wanted to give him a hug, it felt like the right thing to do. Just when I was about to open my arms and offer footsteps came down the stairs.

     "Oh! Tommy, (Y/N). You're back!" Techno said, walking over to us with Philza following close behind. "I was wondering if you guys wanted to do some crafting with me...?"

     I tilted my head, "Me included?"

     "Yeah," he sighed and rubbed the back of his neck. "Sorry I was being so cold to you before. I should try and open up more, especially when you're one of Tommy's friends."

     I nodded my head as Tommy butted in, "What are you going to craft?"

      "I was going to paint or make some accessories." He reached up, touching one of the earrings hanging down, almost to his neck. "These are getting pretty old and boring anyway."

     "That sounds cool. I'll love to join you."

     "Same here!" Tommy chimed.

     Techno smiled, waving us to follow him as he walked to a hatch door in the floor, clambering down into it.