Can We Leave?

(Y/N)

I hummed, sitting down on the edge of Tommy's bed as I stared at the little book. I mean, I did say I wouldn't read it. But like... what he doesn't know won't hurt him, right? Woah, that sounded like foreshadowing... maybe this is a bad idea.

I heard the pitter patter of paws on the floor and glanced up, seeing Aster stare at me. He's always had a way of communication. Right now he was definitely telling me to 'drop it.' Huh. That's awfully familiar. Maybe I should've let him steal my fire wood all those months ago.

"Oh, Aster. Leave me alone. You do realize I could know exactly what he thinks of me if I read this?"

The young wolf half barked, half growled at me.

"Hey! Where does your loyalty lie, hm? I'm the one who raised you!"

He pattered over, feet looking disproportionately large for his still tiny body. At least he's growing. He bumped my leg with his head once.

"Aster..." I said in my warning voice. "Stop it."

He barked at me, 'you stop it.'

"No, not until you do!"

He growled, gently taking my free hand in his jaws and tugging me down. He does that when he wants me to do something really badly. Normally it's cute. Now it's annoying.

"Aster, stop it right now. You're being a very bad wolf."

He blinked his little yellow eyes at me once, silently judging me.

Regret squirmed into my heart, poor Aster's just trying to help... I sighed. "Fine, fine. You're right. I shouldn't."

He dropped my now wet hand and barked happily at me. Headbutting me once more but this time it was loving.

"I- hey! I already told you I know that you're right." I gently tucked the diary under Tommy's pillow once more, Aster jumping around at my feet, barking at me playfully.

"Oh, you want to play?"

He barked again.

"Oh, okay!" I knelt down suddenly, carefully and quickly grabbing him in my hands, ruffling the fur around his neck. "Watch out! The cuddle monster's going to get you!"

He panted happily, licking my nose when I got close enough.

I stopped when he did, plopping back, holding the spot he had licked. "Oh, no! The hero has slain the terrible cuddle monster," I fell back, quietly cussing when I hit my head on the edge of the bed frame. "I will get you next time!" I plopped down, faking death.

After a moment, Aster pattered to my face, pinning me to ground with his paws on my shoulders and licking my face ferociously.

"Hey, hey!" I sputtered, "Get off. You've already defeated me!"

Slowly, the licking subsided and I heard Aster barking. I opened my eyes and glanced up, seeing a familiar blonde standing over me.

Tommy held Aster in his hands, smiling at me with obvious humor. "Huh. I didn't expect to come home to this."

"Oh!" I blushed lightly, embarrassed that he saw me acting so childishly with Aster. I wiped at my face, trying ti get Aster's sticky wolf saliva off my face. "When did you get back?"

"Probably around when the Cuddle Monster attacked Aster's home." He shrugged, "Glad he slain that beast." He hummed, "Pretty cute looking, though. For a monster."