6. Comfort

Today was the first day in months that she showed up to school.

A look of genuine numbness was on her face as she walked across the courtyard into the school. She was my best friend and has been since 1st grade yet, I have no clue as to why she's so down. "Hey" I say as soon as I caught up with her, gaining her attention.

A fake smile crossed her lips as she returned a greeting. My face dropped before my hand subconsciously grabbed her hand and dragged her off to the side of the building where no one stood. I wasn't taking that bullshit. I needed to know what was up.

"What's wrong?" I ask as soon as I turned to face her. "Where were you?". Genuine concern filled my tone as I try to find the answer in her dark gray eyes. Said eyes filled with tears the moment I finished talking.

"My Dad....he....he..." She started to mumble. "He died-" Before she could say any more I pull her tightly in my arms. She let out a muffled sob as she buried her face into my shirt.

"Why didn't you tell me? I was so worried for you" I whisper.

I quietly sat next to Yuji on the bench just outside the crematorium, holding his hand in my own on top of my lap. "I'm sorry about unleashing all this nonsense on you after what happened to Gramps, Yuji" I admit in a quiet tone. I gently rub my thumb across his skin.

"Its okay" He mumbles. He gently pulled my hand to his lips, placing a chaste, just as gentle kiss to the top of it. "I'll be okay now that you're here" He admits.

I push myself on to him, engulfing his body into my arms. I pull him into a hug that tries to imitate his own comforting hugs.

"You can tell me you know. I can know if you're not okay" I say.

He gently returned the hug sighing. "I really am okay Hikari. I admit I'm a little sad but I'm handling it" He says before he pushed me away. "You're here now so I know I can".

I sigh, feeling a frown on my face. I couldn't tell if he really was okay or if he was saying that to get me off his back. I want to believe him, I do. It's just so hard because I know I wouldn't be as okay as he is right now.

"Swear?" I ask.

He huffed a quiet laugh, his face breaking out into a gentle, kind smile before he slowly leans into press a gentle kiss to my forehead. "I swear" He admits.

"Okay" I mumble. I took his hand in mine and gently played with it as we sat in silence.

"I have a question" He says, starting on a new topic. I hum, showing him that he has my attention. "Are deaths like these from curses common?" He asks. I sigh.

"Deaths like these are exceptional these days. However, in terms of damage, it's the exact opposite." I explain never looking from his hand. I turn his hand over and I run my thumb gently along his palm and fingers.

"Its a good night when someone dies a normal death after encountering a curse".

"The deaths that come with these curses aren't a pretty sight. You'll learn that early on." I sigh. I remain silent for a second before adding "that is... If you wanna join this messed up part of the world". He quietly huffed a chuckle.

"If all the parts of Sukuna were gone, would fewer people be harmed?" He asks, his tone serious again.

"Yeah" I admit.

He stood silently and pulled me up to a stand, towing me inside the crematorium behind him. He was quiet the whole time. A look of serious thought never left his face. I never talked, only watched in curiosity and worry.

Finally he placed the lid to Wasuke's urn on and sighed. "Do you have that finger?" He asks as he turned to look at me. I nod as I take the small container that held Sukuna's next finger and hand it to him.

'Your companion has chosen to pursue this life.' Kichijōten comments. I sigh, feeling a worried frown cover my lips at her words.

I left to keep him from this hell. I left to keep him safe.

Yet here he is, right in front of me, choosing to consume this curse in order to keep it from harming anyone else.

'He'll be okay child. You know he is strong' she adds. I know he is. That doesn't keep me from worrying.

He looked over the finger with an amusing look of disgust covering his face. "Y'know. Now that I look at it again....it looks really disgusting" He admits, making me chuckle. Without another word, he ate the finger whole.

Ew....

He stood still for a second before he jumped, gripping onto his chest as if he was shot. He quietly laughed as he stumbled forward to the wall. I feel Kichijōten begin to take over like it was my fight response.

Dark marks cover my skin as I watch.

He suddenly shot up, gagging. "That's seriously so gross that it's funny". A gasp escaped my lips as realization hit me. 'He's more than physically tolerant. He has the potential to be vessel just as you are' Kichijōten commentate.

I feel a smile cover my lips. The feeling of joy and terror filled my veins. I'm glad he'll be okay but I'm scared of how this life will treat him.

I'll do what I can to keep him alive and well, I decided.