3. Family

"Grandpa. This is Hikari Kamada." Yuji says. His hand gently interlaced in my own. "She's uh...my girlfriend" He says.

A small smile covered my lips as I respectfully bow to Yuji's grandfather, laying back in his hospital bed.

"Took your ass long enough you punk. You were beginning to take years off my life from worry" He dramaticize. I quietly chuckle.

"Now you're just being dramatic gramps" Yuji says.

I quietly sigh as I enter the hospital I've grown accustomed to over this past summer break. I've practically come here every day with Yuji after school so i know this is where hed be.

Fear begins to grow in the pit of my stomach as I led Fushiguro to Wasuke Itadori's hospital room.

Even though it's been a more than a few months, I easily found it. Standing inside, with his back to me, stood Yuji.

It was concerningly silent. Almost deafening. Its usually loud with bickering of the old fart and the stubborn teenager.

And I quickly realize why.

In front of him, lay Wasuke Itadori, completely still. Not even his chest rose to show his lungs still breathing. He had passed. Sorrow overwhelmed the fear in my gut the moment I processed it. The urge to hug him coursed through my body instantly.

To tell him that I'm here and I won't leave ever again.

Hell. I almost did. Before my mind could process it, I was reaching for his hand that sat loose and weary by his side.

My body froze before I got close enough.

I rush out of the room before he could realize I was here. "We can't" I say to Fushiguro the moment I got to the hallway.

A group of nurses wheel a gurney into the room just as we got out. We stood just beside the door as I begin to try and explain what I'm saying.

"Can't what? Get the special object back?! Do you realize how many people will die as long as that thing is still out there?!" He says.

"We can't! Not right now. We need to allow him to mourn" I say with a raised tone.

"We can't wait any longer Hikari. We need to get it back now" He says. "I know that. But he just lost the only family he's had left! Give him a minute" I interrupt, raising my voice just above a whisper.

"We won't have a minute Hikari, that is if the cursed object attracts any more curses to this place" He says. I groan.

"Thank you Hikari" Wasuke says, catching my attention immediately. Yuji was in the bathroom so it was just me and his grandpa in the room.

"What for?" I ask.

"Being there for that boy." He says, in a matter of factly kind of tone. He glances at the door to the bathroom. "I know I won't be around much longer. Its good that he found someone he can depend on for family. I know he won't be alone after I'm gone and for that I'm grateful to you" He explains.

I chuckle. "Well. You can trust me to never leave his side sir. I promise you" I say.

The old man only smiled. "Good" He says.

He needed me right now. I was the only family he had left in this stupid world.

I can't be here on business, I needed to make this personal.

I sigh just before I notice the nurses wheel the gurney out of the room. It was only for an instant but I saw the old man's face.

Peaceful and finally free from the cursed world.

Tears weld in my eyes as I took a deep, shakey breath. "Lemme talk to him. Please" I tell Fushiguro. The boy sighed before he gave in. He nodded.

Having his permission, I quickly turn and walk in the room, finding Yuji packing away all of his grandfather's things into a small duffel.

"Hey Yu-" I start to say before my voice gave out from the sadness growing in my heart. His brown eyes meet mine before he was quick to pull me in a suffocatingly tight hug.

"I'm sorry I wasn't here sooner" I whisper before I blink the watery tear from my eye. I slowly fell down my cheek.

"You showed up. Thats all that matters" He says, making me take in another shakey breath.

"I'm so sorry, Yu" I whisper, quieter this time.

The boy only remained silent. He stood still in my hold. He was frozen. I wouldn't blame him either. I release the breath as I held him there for as long as he needed. After a while he pulled away just far enough for him to rest his forehead on my own while his arms kept a loose hold around me.

His warm breath blew against my lips and my damp, tear stained face.

His hands gently slid across my cheeks before he quietly chuckled. "Why are you crying?" He asks. "Why aren't you, you punk?!" I ask instantly, making a genuine laugh come from him.

"Because I'm okay. Now that you're here, I don't feel sad" He says. My eyebrows crease with warmth and a bit of sadness as I meet his brown eyes for the first time in months.

"I missed you Hikari" He says.

"I missed you too Yu" I admit in a quiet whisper as I grabbed his hand that was pressed against my face.