16. Rain

I've always liked the rain. When i was younger, id sit by the window and watch and listen to the storm for hours. It gives me a sense of calm. The dark clouds, the smell of wet earth, the chill it usually brings.

I remember it rained the day dad died. He was out on a job to handle a grade 2 curse while mom stayed home with me.

He didn't come home that day. Some of the head sorcerers say there was an unregistered special grade with the grade 2. That it was the special grade that snapped his neck and tore him apart.

I follow close behind Yuji as we walk along with Nanami up flights of stairs to the theater's rooftop Nanami wanted to search.

I was in my own thoughts, too caught up in the sick feeling that was left in my stomach from that movie theater. I barely catch on to Nanami's and Yuji's conversation.

"So there wasn't anything on the surveillance camera right? It didn't show who did it?" Yuji asks.

"Even if it could've shown who did it, we still couldn't see it if it was a curse. Cameras don't pick up curses" Nanami starts. "There was a young man however. He looked to be around the victim's age.".

"Do you think it could've been him that did it?" I ask.

"There's a likely chance that he could've. But I'd rather believe it was a cursed spirit" Nanami answers just we all reach the landing to the floor with roof access. It makes more sense for a spirit to have that amount of energy left behind. A special grade at that.

I follow the two out into the rain, stepping under Yuji's umbrella as the three of us walk out onto the roof.

Immediately I felt a presence over my queasy stomach and anxious nerves. I turn to look over my shoulder just to find that the presence was a curse. Except...this curse...gives off a different presence than that I usually feel from other curses. It only made me feel more nauseous.

"Guys" I mumble, turning their attention to me, then to where I was looking.

Yuji pushed the umbrella handle into my hand and dropped into a guard position. "Stop" Nanami calls out. "I'll handle that one. Yuji take the other one." He commands. I turn to find another curse, one that gives off the same unique presence as the first one did. "Miss Kamada, be prepared to back him up if he needs it".

"Yes sir" I say, quickly stepping out of their way and off to the side.

'I don't know how to feel about that man' Kichijōten admits after a moments silence. I laugh quietly under my breath as lean against the wall, watching and making sure to keep my ears open if Yuji needs me.

"He's okay. He's just super realistic. He reminds me of my mom" I admit under my breath.

Kichijōten chuckles. 'He does certainly have traits Mika would possess. Your father once admitted to liking that about her'.

"What was he like Kich?" I ask.

'Frankly, like your companion. Emotionally-driven, outgoing and caring for others' Kichijōten admits. 'I can confidently say that history repeated itself when it comes to you and your mother.'

History repeats, huh? I sigh quietly as I look down at a puddle creating a pool at my feet. I just hope our personalities are all that repeats.

The front door opened. I was leaned up against the window, staring out at the dark sky and falling rain as I held Amaya in my lap. Being the snoop I am, I tune in to the conversation that comes from the other side of the threshold. "Mrs. Kamada. I'm sorry to say...but your husband, Kouske Kamada has passed"

Glass shattered at my mother's feet and Hiyori, that was once asleep in her arms, woke up screaming.

I was too young to understand really what was happening at the time. When mom told me what he really meant, I didn't really feel sad.

Infact, I didn't really feel anything for a while.

I was numb, quiet and reserved to the point I didn't even talk to Kichijōten for a whole month.

Suddenly a thud draws me out of my thoughts and the first curse I saw falls to my feet without either arms nor legs. Nanami had finally finished it I see...

It's blood mixed with the rain. Blood...

It's...it's not a curses' blood. It's a human's. No...it can't be... I drop the umbrella and quickly pull out my phone from my pocket and open up the camera to point at the corpse.

It shows up clear as day.

That's why it's presence felt different. "Stop!" I yell. Both Yuji and Nanami froze in their places. "Don't kill them!".

"What is it Hikari?" Yuji asks.

I look down at the curse, holding its chest and the gaping wound coming from it. Human blood as well. I held up my phone, showing him the picture. "Yuji...They're..." I start to say.

***

"Humans." Miss Shoko bluntly says. "Or atleast they were humans. Their bodies and physical appearance have been altered extremely with cursed energy. That's why Hikari felt that odd presence".

I quietly sigh, barely noticing Nanami hold out a towel for me to use for my hair. I took it and quickly start to wring out my hair. I tune out the rest of her debriefing, turning to stand next to the window behind the sofa Yuji was sitting on to stare out at the rain.

I love the rain...its just...

Unfortunately for me, death always accompanies the rain I love so much.

A/N: Hi everyone! I'm so sorry for the late updates. I've been super busy with college classes here lately. I just want to thank you guys for almost 23K views. I really appreciate it! I promise that I'll try to get chapters out soon but bear with me. 😊❤️.