7. Him

The warm spring air and its gentle breeze kissed my skin as he and I walk the road to the school. After a while of him walking behind me in silence, Yuji did a little jog to catch up, admitting "Tokyo is way different then podunk Sendai huh?".

A quiet chuckle escaped my lips at the use of his vocabulary before I say "We're still on the outskirts of Tokyo but yes, it is".

His lips curve into a soft, relieved smile at the sound of my laugh. I suddenly feel his comforting hand slip into my own, lacing his long fingers into mine.

"I missed that laugh" He admits. It's funny. I haven't even cracked a smile in the months I've been here. Now that he's by my side again, I'm already laughing.

"I have too" I mumble, feeling my hand squeeze his.

"So where are we going?" He asks after a moment of silence.

"Tokyo Prefectural Jujutsu High School. It's known as a private religious school as a cover" I admit. He hummed in understanding. "Its used as a school, training ground and a base of operations for students and official Sorcerers together. Been here for ages" I add.

"Ah. Cool" He mumbles.

His response tells me his question was just an icebreaker to something he really wants to ask. I remain silent and patiently allow him to ask when he feels comfortable enough.

"Do you...know?" He asks eventually.

There it is.

I sigh. "Yeah...I know." I admit. "Gojo told me while you were knocked out." I say.

"You realize what'll happen to him now that he's Sukuna's vessel right?" Gojo asks. I lower my head, playing with the hem of my skirt to avoid Fushiguro's wondering eyes.

"Yeah. The same thing that was supposed to happen to me when I joined this school" I snap. Hot tears lined my eyes. "The elders will execute him".

"And I'll do what I can to keep it from happening." I sternly say.

I'll do what I can to keep him alive and well, I decided.

He sighed, giving me a sad smile. He gently leaned in to press a kiss to my neck, just under my jaw, rubbing my knuckles in the hand that held mine. "Okay" He whispers watching with sadness and worry in his features. I took in a deep breath of the spring air, exhaling a shakey breath.

"So where's Fushiguro?" He breathes, trying to lighten the mood with less serious questions.

"Resting. Sorcerers healed him as soon as he got back last night" I admit.

"Ah. Good." He hummed as a weak version of his signature smile covered his lips, happy to have the subject change easily. We walked the rest of the way in silence.

We get to the main gates and spot our teacher with ease. "Good job bringing him here Hikari. I'll take him now" Gojo says. I hum in understanding before I quickly reach over to press a kiss to his cheek, whispering good luck before I pull away.

He gave me a weak, confused smile as I turn to walk alone back to the dorms. Praying to some God out there that he won't mess up.

'He'll be fine child. He may be a bit of a fool, but I'm sure he'll be accepted with great ease' Kichijōten admits.

I hum in agreement.

"Yeah. I know. But I can't help but worry, Y'know?" I mumble to my curse, earning a hum of understanding in response.

'I do. But I feel that you are underestimating the boy. Have a little faith hm?'

A day. He's known about this crazy, fucked up world for a day and already he's going along like he's been apart of it all his life. He's lost his only family left on top of that. He's strong and super adaptable and it's super scary.

I see where Kichijōten comes from, I do.

But I'm scared to death for him. It's terrifying how easily he's willing to trade his life just so a curse can be destroyed.

I scoff a chuckle. "Yeah. Okay" I mumble.

I quickly made it to the dorms, stopping by the vending machine for a water and a small snack before heading straight for Fushiguro's room, hoping he might be awake to help me keep my mind off Yuji for a while.

I knock a few gentle raps against the door, earning no response in return. I sigh quietly before I crack open the door, peering into the dark room to find that he in fact wasn't awake. I stalk into the room, setting down the water and snack on his bedside before I gently shake his arm to ease him awake.

"Megumi" I whisper quietly as he eventually pulled himself from his sleep.

"Hey." He mumbles as he sits up, rubbing the tired from eyes. "You okay?" He asks. I nod.

"I just figured I'd bring you something to eat." I admit. He hummed in understanding. "How are you feeling?" I ask.

He only shrugged. "I imagine as bad as I look. I'm more tired then anything" He chuckled. I gently sat down on at the foot his bed, making myself comfortable as we continue on with our conversation.

When I first joined the school and found out Megumi was the only other person in my grade, I quickly befriended him, eventually learning to confide in him as a partner and someone I can go for anything to since he was really the one who understood what I was going through. Sitting down and talking when we were distressed, anxious or simply bored was a common ritual between us.

We always felt better afterwards.

Which is why I'm trusting he'd help me with my anxiety for Yuji.

"How's he?" Fushiguro asks, making me sigh.

"Good. He's handling it better then I thought he would." I admit.

His eyebrows furrowed. "He just got thrown into this yesterday..." He admits with suspicion in his tone.

"Exactly that's what I'm saying!" I laugh. Fushiguro shook his head.

"I haven't known him long, but I can totally tell he's a weirdo" He mumbles. I quietly chuckle, shaking my head.

"That's an understatement Megumi" I say.

He's insane. Absolutely unique. Not just his raw physical power he's had for as long as I've known him. But his mental game as well. Kind, devoted and always thinking of someone before himself.

'He isnt something I've seen regularly in my lifetime...' I hear Kichijōten commentate.

All the more reason to love him.

And to keep him alive. As an important asset to the Jujutsu world, he could be of better use alive then executed. If only the higher ups had the guts to see that....

We talked for a little longer before I hear Gojo and Yuji talk just outside Megumi's room.

I quickly stood, crossing the room and opening the door to see Yuji and Gojo talking just outside the room next door.

"Hikari." Yuji says with a smile.

"Heh. Hey! You made it huh?" I chuckle, feeling my chest relieve itself from the built up stress. He nodded, rewarding me with a bigger smile before I pull him into a hug.

"Ah. Since you and Fushiguro are here now, it's important that I tell you that we're heading out tomorrow" Gojo says.

"Hm? Why?" I ask, pulling away from Yuji.

"Why, we're gonna pick up the 4th first year!" He answered.