8. Same Night Sky

The night sky was decorated with dots of white in all shapes and sizes. It was decorated in beautiful hues and I couldn't find it to be any better.

He lay next to me, silently observing the same night sky with a content smile on his face.

I felt it to be the right time.

"Um. Yuji" I mumble. He raised an eyebrow, humming as he turned his head towards me to show he has my attention. "I-" I start to say before my words caught in my throat.

My fingers mess with the hem of my shirt as I stare at him, trying to find the courage to tell him what I've wanted to for a long time.

I sat up with him quickly following in pursuit.

"You okay Hikari?" He asks, genuine concern in his voice.

I took a deep, shakey breath. "I think...I...I like you Yuji" I whisper. His face fell in an unreadable expression. He didn't look too happy.

My face fell in concern and tears began to fill my eyes. I probably shouldn't have said anything. "Yuj-" I start to say before in a flash, he pulled me into a tight hug.

Suddenly he pulled away and his warm, comforting touch went away with it.

I slowly open my eyes, meeting his beautiful dark brown ones. "Dammit..." He whispers. "I wanted to be the one to confess first"

My eyebrows raise before a laugh suddenly burst out of my lips. A smile covered his face. "I like you too Hikari." He says. I sigh in relief, as I pulled him back into a hug.

THAT EVENING

I huff a sigh, dropping the last empty cardboard box that once held Yuji's things in the corner. I turn to face him, announcing "and~ that's the last of em'. You're officially moved into the dorms".

"Nice." He smiles, raising his hand for a high five. I slap my hand against his with a quiet chuckle. "Thank you for helping me". I hum quietly, sighing. A moment of silence hung in the air as we find something to say.

"Hungry?" I ask.

"Is that even a question?" He retorts, with a laugh for a reaction.

"Here. Come on. There's something I wanna show you" I admit, taking his hand and rushing out of his room.

We quickly stop by the vending machine I went to earlier before continuing quickly to the place I wanted to show him.

"Where are we going?" He asks with genuine curiosity in his tone as he bit into the candy bar he bought.

We walked out into the courtyard outside the dorms just as I admit "Dont worry. It's just my hideout.".

"Oooo!" He gushes. He sped up to be by my side as I led him to said spot. "Is it a top secret hideout like in one of those spy movies?!".

"You could say that. Not even Megumi or Gojo know about it" I say.

"Badass." He mumbles, making me quietly laugh. "So I'm the first one to go up there besides you?!" He asks suddenly, excitement in his tone. To be honest, he reminded me of a puppy with his tone.

I nod. "Awesome." He smuggly says.

"Heh. Come on. It's just up here" I say before I stuff my food in the pockets of Yuji's jacket I wore, reaching up to grab the a window ledge to the building that fortunately was closest to the forest around the campus.

He followed without question, moving close behind me as we climbed atop the roof of the building. Remaining silent he trail behind me as we walk across the rooftop.

I eventually plop down in the middle with him doing the same quickly after.

"Welcome to Hikari Kamada's super duper top secret hideout." I say as I began digging out the food items and setting them down on the roof. He hummed quietly, peering around the area. "You're wondering what's so special about it, huh?" I ask with a chuckle.

"Kinda..." He admits sheepishly, earning a quiet laugh from me.

"Its special because it's really the only place on campus that's dark enough." I start explaining as I tear open the wrapper to a chocolate bar I dug out.

"Dark enough? For what?" He asks. I point my index finger up, towards the night sky above us as I took a bite of my candy. He quickly looked up to see what I was talking about. "Wow..." He says immediately.

I quietly laugh as I too look up.

"You tend to see alot more when the sky isn't infested with light pollution." I explain before I look at him. "I usually came here alot when I first came to Jujutsu High. It reminded me a lot of home. Helped ease my anxiety knowing you might be looking at the same night sky I was"

He huffed a quiet chuckle before he too looked away from the sky, meeting my eyes with a smile. Suddenly, he groaned as he plopped down on his back, looking up into the night sky with a content smile.

"To be honest, I did the same. After I'd visit Gramps in the hospital, I'd go to that place just after sundown and look up at the stars as well. I think I just missed you a lot and going there made me feel just a little less lonely" He explains. He chuckles. "And now that I found you again, I know I won't feel lonely anymore".

I took a deep breath, sighing before I took a bite of my chocolate. "God. We're a bunch of sappy losers" I mumble.

He laughs. "Aw come on. We were having a moment."

"Thank you Hikari" Wasuke says, catching my attention immediately. Yuji was in the bathroom so it was just me and his grandpa in the room. "What for?" I ask.

"Being there for that boy." He says, in a matter of factly kind of tone. He glances at the door to the bathroom. "I know I won't be around much longer. Its good that he found someone he can depend on for family. I know he won't be alone after I'm gone and for that I'm grateful to you" He explains.

I chuckle. "Well. You can trust me to never leave his side sir. I promise you" I say. The old man only smiled. "Good" He says.

I'm sorry I wasn't able to hold up my end of the deal before.

But I promise I can now.