10: Before

A calm, peaceful aura filled the air around the cursed warehouse. They managed to exorcize all the curses in there.

Kugisaki and Yuji both exit the warehouse with tired yet content smiles.

I return a smile of approval before I notice the little boy in his arms. A look fear and anxiety covered his face as Yuji approached Gojo, Megumi and I.

I dug out Yuji's ROCK glasses that I stole from him on the trip over here.

I give him an encouraging smile when his anxious gaze met mine and instantly, I saw his whole body relax a little as Yu got within a reaching distance.

"Hey little man. Are you okay? That must've been scary, huh?" I ask. He hesitatantly bobs his head up and down in a nod. "That's good" I say, extending my hand out with the glasses as an attempted source for comfort. "How about no more old abandoned warehouses, yeah?".

He nodded again and gently took the glasses from me. "Alright, let's get you home" I say before Yuji sat him down on the ground. He put on the glasses and comfortably started towards his home with Gojo, Megumi and I in pursuit to make sure he returns safely.

"Knew they'd come in handy" I whisper to Megumi. He let out a breathy laugh in response.

"So what do you two think of the newbies?" Gojo asks once out of earshot of the other first years.

"They got potential" megumi says bluntly.

I laugh. "They're pretty cool. I think they're pretty reliable."

***

With a snack and water in hand, I wander down the hall to Kugisaki's room where she so happened to be unpacking her things.

"Hey" I announce, revealing my presence. She turned to me, cocked eyebrow and a curious look on her face.

"Hey" she says.

"Need any help? I got a snack and some water if you need it." I offer. Her face softened and she took the water.

"I don't like that stuff" she admits, eyeing the bag of potato chips that counted as her snack.

"Suit yourself" I mumble, popping open the bag to take a bite of a piece.

"So where did you come from?" She asks, pulling out an old picture from a cardboard box.

"Sendai. Same as Itadori. I knew him since elementary" I admit, walking in her room.

"Well that explains a lot. I noticed you two were practically inseparable the moment I laid eyes on you" She says. I chuckle.

"Tends to happen in cases involving childhood friends" I admit. She set the picture frame down atop her desk, propped up to stand. It looked to be of a younger version of her and a slightly older girl. "I take it she was yours?" I ask, nodding my head towards the picture.

"Yeah" She says, not breaking her gaze away from the frame. "Her name was Saori. She moved to my village from Tokyo. I thought I'd might see her again now that I'm here" she admits with a genuine softness that I thought would be foreign to someone like her.

"I hope you get the chance. She looks nice" I admit.

"The best" She mumbles with a fond smile. She turned to continue unpacking. Silence filled the air as i watch her do so, ready at anytime she asks for help.

"I was wondering. What's your technique?" I ask eventually.

"What's yours?" She asks smugly.

"If you count being a vessel as a technique..." I admit, leaning against the wall. Her face firmed with confusion, wordlessly asking for an explanation. "I inherited a curse who was an old goddess deity of beauty and luck. When I need her and if I have a sufficient amount of cursed energy, she can possess my body to use those abilities. I'm just a normal person when I'm not possessed" I explain.

She hummed.

"Your turn" I say.

"Its called Straw Doll Technique. I can manipulate my hammer, nails, and straw doll with cursed energy." She explains. I hum in understanding.

"What's your grade?" I ask.

"3. You?" She asks. I purse my lips as I swallow the piece of potato chip.

"Special."

A heavy book thudded against the wooden floor before she turned to me in complete shock.