20th Debt

Say Hello

         HE DIDN’T KNOW why he fell for her. He didn’t know how, what the source was and what’s so lovely about her. He didn’t know, what the source was and what’s so lovely about her.

         One thing that he realized being with Devon was that, there was no sparks or connection needed in order to fall in-love. There’s no logic or explanation needed to base on. You just fall and that’s that.

         Nathaniel yawned and slowly got out of bed, careful not to wake her up. He crouched down and planted a soft kiss on her forehead. She stirred, but she didn’t really gain consciousness.

         It was as if she casted some sort of spell on him. In his eyes, she was beautiful—every second, every minute, every hour and every day.

         He stood by the doorway, watching her as she slept soundly. Without a reason, he smiled like an idiot. God, this devilish woman had put strong-binding spell on me. I wonder what incantation she used, he thought.

         He trudged to the kitchen to cook breakfast. He prepared a pancake with strawberry syrup, eggs and sausages.

         Right after he prepared their food, Devon woke up. She went to the kitchen and greeted him. “Good morning,” she muttered, stretching her arms as she yawned. “Why are you up so early?” she asked.

         “Because I don’t want you to skip breakfast,” he replied. “You don’t know how to cook.”

         She rolled her eyes and crossed her arms, leaning on the stool. “There’s food delivery.”

         “Food delivery is not healthy,” he reproved, “You should eat homemade food.”

         Her brows furrowed. “Cooking is too troublesome,” she whined, “Plus, I have you with me, so I shouldn’t be having any problems with my meals anymore, right?”

         Her tone sounded casual, but despite that, the statement made his heart flutter crazy. He thought that only girls were the only ones who get those inexplicable butterflies but he was wrong. He didn’t even get that giddy feeling when he was with Hannah.

         Of course, I’ll take care of you. I’ll do any errands, be a slave. I’m a sucker for you, he wanted to say, but bit back the words. He wasn’t the sweet type of guy so he chose to bottle his emotions inside and said, “I’m not your butler and I’m not always around, you know.”

         Her lips curled into a grim line. “I’m fine with the delivery or whatever. It’s not like I’m gonna’ die eating it,” she retorted.

         “I pity out future kids,” he murmured only for him to hear.

         She arched her brow. “Were you saying something?”

         “Nothing,” he deadpanned. “Eat,” he pointed toward the pancakes.

         She gave him an incredulous look. “Heart-shaped pancakes? Seriously?”

         He didn’t know what got into him; he was so excited to see her awake so he purposely created them with heart-shapes. This must be what they called a food made with love. It was odd for a grown-man like him to do cheesy stuffs like that. “It’s either you eat it or you starve,” he uttered curtly.

         She raised her hands in surrender. “Fine,” she conceded, “I’ll eat it for the sake of your effort.”

         She sliced the pancake into half with a butter knife, slathered it with strawberry syrup and popped a forkful piece into her mouth. She chewed it slowly, and when she was done, he stared at her expectantly, waiting for a feedback.