11th Debt

Dress

        “SO YOU’VE DREAMT OF a mosaic-faced man?” Nathaniel asked incredulously. “So that’s the reason why you’re being out-of-character?”

        Devon nodded.

        She was lying. She didn’t really mention anything about him being on her nightmare. As she recalled the image of the dark hooded, masked woman, she shuddered. Her sinister smile, how the knife fitted her hand perfectly, that eerie aura she bore.

        Who knew that a dream could tame someone like her?

        “That’s unbelievable,” Nathaniel pursed his lips dubiously, “I don’t think that really happened. I mean, it’s just mosaic. It ain’t that creepy.”

        “But he had a knife!”

        He furrowed his brows. “You didn’t mention any knife on your story,” he scoffed, “You’re lying.”

        She inwardly groaned in frustration. How could she let a small detail slip? The counterfeited story was good to go and all that she needed was some convincing and persuading. “I-I’m not lying...I—uh, forgot...”

        “Seriously, you need to tell me what happened,” he demanded, “Or I’ll leave.”

        She grunted.

       “Fine. Okay, I got stuck on a cliff,” she started, “hanging like a pendulum. I was in despair and ready to accept my death, but then y—” She cleared her throat. Her tongue almost slipped, she didn’t want him to know that he was in her dream. “I mean...some guy came into my rescue. He was about to help me, but a woman in a black cloak and mask suddenly appeared with a knife in hand. I was about to be saved, but before the guy could, the woman was about to thrust the knife toward him. Then boom! I woke up and it all ended in a cliff-hanger.”

        “Oh.” It seemed like he bought the story now.

        “Yeah. Happy now?”

       “I didn’t know that a dream could unhinge you,” his lips tugged into a lopsided grin, “The Demonic Devon Gale Leonhardt is weak against nightmares.”

        She arched a brow and smacked his arm. “Shut the hell up!”

        “What? I’m just surprised to see you in that state just because of a dream.”

        She tried to keep a straight face, although deep inside, she was scared.

• • •

             DEVON RECEIVED A gaudy invitation. It was a silver envelope; the statement “You’re cordially invited” was embroidered with Swarovski stones. There was a gold ribbon etched on the borders. It specifically printed her name calligraphic style. It was for her.

        She was pretty used to receiving invitations for grand balls and parties. After all, she was the daughter of the man well-known in the business industry. The Leonhardt wasn’t just known in the publishing industry, they had other various businesses like hotels, restaurants and etc.

        The back of the envelope had the name of the company.

        Clarkson Industries