16th Debt

Thank you kiss

      AFTER A WEEK, Nathaniel was finally discharged from the hospital. It was a relief. His life inside his hospital suite was chill and relaxing, but he totally hated being stuck inside the white corners of the room.

        Fortunately, Emmanuel Leonhardt—the company president—was considerate to give him a break.  He felt guilty, he had a debt and being showered with kindness by the man would only add to his arrears. There was a big possibility that he might spend his entire life repaying him.

        Something has changed. An unexplainable change. And Devon has, too.

        She had somehow become lenient toward him. Sometimes, he’d thought about what had happened to her while he was unconscious. He wondered why her bitchiness had lessened. It’s not that he didn’t want her to treat him nicely; it was just so odd for someone like her to treat him humanely.

        He could still freshly remember the first time they met two months ago. How brash she was, and how she would randomly thrash violently, throw curses and snide remarks toward him. He couldn’t help but smile at the memory.

        “What are you smiling about?” Zeke asked, interrupting his musing.

        Nathaniel shook his head. “Nothing,” he replied, the smile remaining on his face.

        “I hope that you aren’t going mental because of that accident!” Zeke hyperbolically exclaimed. “This might be a side effect of getting hospitalized for weeks.”

        “I’m okay…,” he said, “I just remembered something.”

        Zeke arched his brow in wonder. “And what is that something?”

        “Something that doesn’t involve you,” he jibed.

        His friend feigned hurt. “Ouch! That hurt!” he exclaimed exaggeratedly, “I thought we were friends.”

        He exhaled a sigh. “Can we talk about something else?”

        “Alright, alright,” Zeke said in surrender. He tapped his desk with his fingers, probably thinking about a topic shift. After a minute of silence, he finally spoke again. “How’s it going with that chick?”

        “Are we talking about Hannah?” It was the first person that came to mind. He’d told Zeke about her, and how he was making efforts to court her. “If we’re talking about her, then, let me tell you that we had already broken up… in a rough way.” The last statement came out from his mouth sourly.

        “No, I meant the president’s daughter,” he rectified, “Although, I also want to know about the details of that ‘rough’ break-up.”

        “I’d rather not tell. It wasn’t something worth recalling,” he said dryly, “And Devon? What about her?”

        “She’s hot,” he commented.

        Something welled within him. He didn’t know what it is, but it was sure strange of him to feel such sensation. It didn’t feel right, but he found himself irritated at Zeke’s remark. He wanted to be the only one who’d be able to appreciate her beauty. Holy shit! Where are my thoughts going? She was innately beautiful (and Devon knows it herself, too) so it’s pretty inevitable for others to see it.

         “Yeah! She is,” Nathaniel seconded, trying to hide the irritation of his tone, “To the point that she could burn hell.” The sentence came out more as a quip, although partly, it is true though.