8th Debt

Kiss

        WHAT THE HELL does he want?! She mused irately. She was unhinged by JC’s sudden appearance. Hell! Why would he appear in front of her door all of a sudden? She maintained her cool and crossed her arms. She took a deep breath and arched his brow. "What the hell do you want?" Devon inquired tersely.

        "I just want to talk," he replied.

        And now he wants to fucking talk? That’s bullcrap! She thought irritably.

        "Seriously? Talk? After three years of suddenly disappearing, you finally had the nerve to talk?" She spat.

        "I just wanna apologize for everything," he murmured apologetically. 

        Devon expelled a heavy sigh. "I’ll give you five minutes to talk." Her tone was challenging. She was serious about the time limit. She looked at her wristwatch, announcing his cue. "Your time... Starts... Now!"

        "I’m really sorry for everything three years ago," he timidly uttered, "I’m sorry for leaving without saying anything."

        She let his prattling continue, staring dully at him.

       She looked down and checked her watch, declaring, "4 minutes left."

        "I really love you, I do. Even now."

        She guffawed derisively at his confession. "Love?! That’s so overrated, JC."

        He bit his lip; there was a hint of hurt in his eyes. "I regret everything. I regret leaving you."

        "Hahahaha! Oh my gosh! Regret? I never thought you had that in your vocabulary."

        Only the sound of her laughter filled the room. I swear, he looks so dumb right now. She thought amusingly.

        "I just..." He didn’t continue his statement anymore, he just stared at her. She could see his fist clenching at his sides.

        She checked her watch once again. "2 minutes..."

        JC didn’t talk. He just stood there, watching her intently. What the hell is his problem?! Silence wasted the remaining two minutes. When his time was up, she was about to close the door, but JC blocked it with his arms.

        "Have you moved on?"

        Did she move on? That one question never crossed her mind. She smiled bitterly at him. "Yes. I did." 

        "Is it because of that guy?"

       Her eyes widened at his question. She knew whom he was pertaining to as that guy. "I don’t know," was the only answer that came out of her mouth.

        He didn’t press any questions further. He left. She remained standing by her door, bothered by the conversation she had. What disturbed her wasn’t his question, but the answer she gave. Devon would’ve answered no immediately, but why was she hesitating?

        Back at that night when they were at the cinema, he surprised her from behind as a prank. She was aware that he was joking at that time, it wasn’t a big deal for her. The main deal was how she felt that strange electricity when their skin touched. The moment their eyes met, her heart began to palpitate. It was strange. She couldn’t even look at him straight in the eye.