2nd Debt

Thank You

        WHY DID HE have to show up now of all time?

        She still wasn’t ready to face him. She still wasn’t able to recuperate with the agony he had caused her.

        She coolly composed herself. She wanted to cry all the pain she had suppressed during the time of his absence, but since she was an expert at being an eccedentesiast, she gave him the fakest smile she could muster instead. "So you’re back...Haven’t seen you in a long time…," muttered Devon sweetly.

        She tightened her grip on Nathaniel’s hand. He didn’t pull away, instead, he cinched his hold onto her tightly. He finally understood what she was trying to pull off.

        Three years have passed and she thought that she was over him but now that she crossed path with him again, all the feelings she held inside came back.

        "Yeah, I’m back," JC responded casually, returning her smile. "How’s life?"

        Life had been miserable, but there was no point in telling the truth. Even if she’d express her real feelings, it wouldn’t change a thing; it wouldn’t make the pain go away. "I’ve been well. Happy and contented," was her bogus reply.

        "Good to hear," JC cooed, relief evident in his tone. He placed his hands in his pocket and sheepishly smiled at Nathaniel. "I gotta go." He waved dismissively and turned to take his leave.

• • •

        "GET ME THE ONE WITH the strongest volume," Devon ordered.

        The bartender nodded.

        Fifteen minutes had passed ever since JC left. Devon remained silent the whole time. She wasn’t in the mood for any petty talks. Brianna tried to initiate a conversation in an attempt to remove the tensed sensation she felt but she remained fazed.

        "I gotta go. Nathaniel, you take care of her, okay?" said Brianna.

        "Alright," he said, nodding.

      The bartender handed the translucent glass to the blonde. In just one gulp, she managed to finish up all its contents. She was still unresponsive and he had no idea how to snap her into her senses.

        "Devon." Nathaniel prodded her arm, in hopes that she’d go back to her usual self.

         "........." But still, he got no response from her.

         "I could’ve punched him for you, you know."

        She cocked her head to the side, finally facing him. "It wouldn’t change anything, it wouldn’t change the past. It wouldn’t take the pain away." She took another swig of alcohol; the bitter flavor somehow equated to what she was feeling right now.

        He was relieved to hear her talk again. He breathed a sigh of relief. "You can tell me anything, you know."

        "And why would I tell someone like you?" she retaliated quizzically.

        "Sometimes it’s much better to talk your problems out with strangers compared to the people you’ve known for a long time," replied Nathaniel bluntly, "Because strangers can’t judge you."