10th Debt

Nightmare

       Devon was at the edge of the cliff, down below was a dark unknown abyss. All the colors in her face escaped. She tried to step backward, but instead of sparing herself, she ended up slipping downward.

         She didn’t fall directly. With reflex, her right hand managed to grip onto the nearest rock. She swung in the air like a pendulum; the cold wind was brushing against her skin. She was panting, out of breath, drenched in perspiration.

        “Help me!” She shouted helplessly.

        There were many people around her. She could hear them laughing, talking and giggling.

        “Somebody! Please, help me!” She bellowed at the top of her lungs.

        She was desperate to be rescued. She wanted to live. She wasn’t ready to die yet. Tears began to well up in the corner of her eyes. She was praying to all the Gods, hoping for someone to save her.

        “Help me!” She repeated, choking on her words.

        But no one paid any heed to her call.

        Her palms were oozing with sweat; her nails were scraping on the rough surface of the rock. But she didn’t care, she was determined to survive the ordeal.

        Pain surged through her arm, but she disregarded the pang she was feeling.

        Her right pinky finger slipped. She clutched her grip tightly, but her hold faltered. Her ring finger loosened. “No!” She screamed.

        Maybe this was her comeuppance. Maybe she deserved this. Maybe this was meant to happen.

        I’ve always wanted to die, I’m pretty sure a lot of people will be delighted if I did, I’ll make them happy on my last breath then, she thought dreadfully.

        All persistence she had moments ago dissipated, she gave up. She let go of the object that supported her life, she closed her eyes and let herself fall.

        She felt the impact run down her arm to her shoulder.

        Her fall suddenly came to a halt halfway through. Devon gazed up and saw Nathaniel beyond the cliff, extending his body, his right arm stretched out. “Devon!” Nathaniel hollered; his tone anguished.

        A minuscule percentage of her hope lit up when she saw him.

        He was willing to save her. He heard her. He came to her aid.

        “N-Nathaniel,” she stuttered, “L-Let me go.”

        He shook his head. “No, I won’t!” he clenched his teeth; his face determined. “You’ll live, you’ll be saved!” He shouted reassuringly. “I’ll save you!”

        “It’s useless! I deserve this, I deserve to die!”

        “I don’t want you to die!” he cried out, “So please, hold onto me tightly.”

        She saw the sincerity in his brown eyes. She could feel his perseverance. A hopeful one replaced her crestfallen expression moment ago.

        Gathering all his strength, he pulled her up. Devon was lifted a bit higher. She was finally able to transfer her grip on his wrist.

        She was almost there.

        But before he could succeed in pulling her up, an unfamiliar female figure suddenly appeared. She wore a black cloak and mask, shrouding her face. She bore an eerie aura and she had a knife in her hand. She lifted the dagger and aimed the blade at Nathaniel’s head.