26th Debt

I Love Her

AFTER RECEIVING that death threat, Devon did the wisest thing a person would do when faced with such situation: she went to the police and reported to them about the anonymous threats she'd been receiving. Nonetheless, she didn't plan on telling anyone about it yet; she didn't want to drag her father and Nathaniel to it.

        The people on the set knew about it, but they reckoned that it was probably just a prank by one of her haters. Only she knew about the truth. It was something that only she could deal with herself... for now.

        "Miss Leonhardt, we've tracked the address of the sender through their I.P address," Leonel Smithson-the investigator of the case-informed. He handed her a folder, and she assumed that it contained all the information he had acquired.

        Leonel Smithson was a man in her mid-50s. Despite his age, he was still bulky and healthy. He was her father's friend, and their family's private investigator. And also, her godfather. He was known as one of the best detectives in New York.

        Calmly, she flipped it open. She scanned the page and read its contents meticulously.

        "The mysterious organization called 'E' is notoriously known for committing fraud," Leonel Smithson started. "The number of members of the aforementioned organization is indefinite. Up until now, we still don't know who their leader is."

        "What's their purpose? Why did they start the organization?" Devon inquired as she continued to scan the pages. On the 5th page, she saw pictures of three men and two women; they were mug shots.

        "It is still unknown. But so far, we've concluded that it was probably because of money," Leonel Smithson answered. "This organization is wise. They've put 10 companies into bankruptcy."

        It was odd how an organization that aimed to cause bankruptcies to business companies attack an individual like her. What was their purpose? And why her, of all people? Was it because of his father's company? "Why me?" The question's been bothering her at this moment.

        "I reckon that it's probably because of your father's company," the Detective concluded.

        "I don't think so..." Devon shook her head, massaging her temple. She closed the files and placed it on the table. She'll read more about it later. "If they were after my father's company, they could've gone into the company directly. Maybe hire one of their members to pose as one of the company's investor or something."

        Leonel Smithson nodded. He went mum for a moment, rubbing his bearded chin; it was his mannerism every time he's thinking of something deeply

       "I'm really sure that it's a personal attack against me," Devon uttered. "I'm their target. They'll do everything to hurt me."

        The Detective's face suddenly lightened, as if he found the missing piece of a puzzle that has been lost for a long time. His features painted Eureka! "Revenge," he muttered. "The threat and the taunting-it could be done out of vengeance."

        Her brows furrowed dubiously. "I don't think that's possible. I mean, I did make a lot of mistakes in the past. I'd wronged a lot of people, but not to the point that'll push them to retaliate. Plus, the only thing they could ever do was send bogus death threats."

        "It's possible that you're not the one at fault, but someone close to you," was Leonel Smithson's theory.

        "Someone close to me?" Devon pursed her lips. "It could be my dad, right?"