9th Debt

Why

        OH FUCK, why did I do that? Nathaniel asked himself for the nth time.  He felt bothered by the fact that he subconsciously kissed Devon. After sharing that unintentional kiss, he immediately went home in haste. Thankfully, none of the people who witnessed that scene knew them. It’s been three days ever since that event happened and he still hasn’t recovered. Devon didn’t call him. He hadn’t received any call or random requests from her.

        “Hello! Earth to Nathaniel!” Zeke exclaimed, snapping him out from his stupor.

        He was finally back to reality. He suddenly remembered that he needed to encode the sales report for the month. He noticed that he still hadn’t typed anything on the document.

        “Are you, okay, man?” His friend inquired worriedly.

        “I’m fine. Sorta.”

        He took a deep breath and began to drown himself into work. Thank God the distraction worked, his attention was stuck on the computer for four straight hours. Transiently, Devon was out of his train of thought.

• • •

        DEVON HELD THE COFFEE in her hand as she leaned her elbow on the table. It’s been an hour and she still hasn’t taken a single gulp of the drink. She sat on the table in a daze. Three days have passed and she still wasn’t able to get her mind off things during that night.

        Halloween party. Nathaniel. Kiss.

        She shook her head vehemently, hoping that the gesticulation would help her clear her mind.

        Unfortunately, it didn’t.

        She lost her usual self. So in order to get back to track, an idea crept through her mind. A brunette female passed by her table, she stood up and purposely poured the coffee on her dress.

        The female squealed girlishly. “Oh my gosh! My dress, my new dress! What have you done to my dress?!” The female exclaimed hysterically. The brunette whirled around and faced the perpetrator. “YOU!” She pointedly exclaimed at Devon.

        Devon stood still nonchalantly and stared at the over-reacting female, the cup of coffee was still in her hand. A devious smirk made its way onto her delicate lips. “Oh, my apologies! My hand slipped!”

        “No, you fucking did this on purpose you bitch!” She shouted furiously, anger was evident on her visage.

        “Thank you very much for the compliment,” Devon retorted sarcastically, “and I really am sorry. You see, the coffee didn’t like you.”

        “You need to pay for this dress. This costs a hundred thousand dollars!” The brunette bellowed disdainfully.

        “A hundred thousand dollars? How can a person like you with a cheap attitude earn that money? Did you spread your legs for some random dirty old man?” She threw the cup of coffee on the hysteric female’s countenance, her face was now soaked with dark liquid. “You should be grateful that your cheap dress gets a taste of an expensive coffee!”

        The brunette gaped in shock. It seemed like she hit the right spot. So Devon was right, she was indeed a social climber who gained money through prostitution, she could tell at first glance. “Y-You! I swear to god, I’ll sue you. You’ll pay for this!” She stomped her feet to the ground ragingly.