12th Debt

Premonition

       DEVON HAD ONE DAY LEFT TO prepare for the grand ball. She wasn’t really looking forward to it—she simply liked the dress that she’ll wear. Well, maybe she did, but she just couldn’t bring herself to admit it.

        Her dad took care of Nathaniel’s outfit for the ball. She had no idea how it looked like. She tried asking him to show it to her, but he kept giving her the excuse that he wanted to surprise her. It better look good, though. Or else, all hell would break loose. She wouldn’t want to end up as a laughingstock in the party.

        “It better look good, you blockhead. I wouldn’t want my escort to look like a fucking riffraff,” she threatened.

        Nathaniel rolled his eyes at her remark. “Don’t worry mistress, I wouldn’t dare embarrass you in front of everyone. I know how hell would rise if ever that happens,” he quipped.

        “Good boy.”

        Brianna emerged out of the room, intruding their conversation.

        “What’s up lovebirds?!” She chirped.

        Devon shot her friend a look.

        Meanwhile, Nathaniel shrugged nonchalantly, not really bothered by Brianna’s remark. He brought the rim of the champagne class onto his lips, taking a mouthful swig of vodka.

        She placed her hands on her hips. “Tch, you two are a bunch of pushover!” Brianna commented.

        Both didn’t pay heed to her remarks, they were engrossed in taking their fair share of drinks.

        Brianna had invited them to drink. She owned the bar and she was bored, she didn’t have much customer so she called Devon.

        Devon could get drinks for free, but she didn’t want that. She’d rather pay, taking free offers was too “peasant”-ish for her taste.

        She took a direct shot, without any chaser. The bitter flavor of the alcohol lingered in her taste bud.

        “Don’t drink too much, I wouldn’t want you throwing up on me again.” Nathaniel admonished.

        Devon arched her delicate brow. “I’ll do what I want,” she retorted “plus, stop complaining. Cleaning up my mess is part of your job.”

        “Yeah, but not literally,” he scoffed.

• • •

        LIKE WHAT HE HAD EXPECTED, she got wasted.

        He expelled a beleaguered sigh and carried her over his shoulder. She wasn’t heavy, so it wasn’t difficult for him to lift her up.

        “Puuut me dooown,” she drawled, “I can walk on my own.”

        He disregarded her attempt of struggling. She tried to get off him as she squirmed but he was strong.

        His alcohol intake was only a handful. He didn’t intend to consume too much drink despite wanting to, knowing that Devon would definitely get intoxicated; he concluded that she would not be able to manage by herself.