3rd Debt

Dance

        IT’S BEEN A WEEK. One week of endless bickering, one week of dealing with her mood swings, one week of keeping up with her bratty attitude, one week of turmoil.

        He was thankful that he managed to survive on the demon’s territory. He had never met someone obnoxious as her before. She commited faults and whenever he was around, she’d automatically pass all the blame on him.

        One time at the park, the two were eating ice cream. Devon’s finger slipped and the ice cream accidentally landed on a tall muscular man’s T-shirt. She immediately threw the cone far from where she stood before the man could notice her presence.

        "Who the hell tossed that ice cream? Huh, answer me you fuckers!" A bulky man bellowed questioningly.

        Devon pointed her forefinger toward Nathaniel accusingly. The man gave him a look of daggers. He was holding a strawberry-flavored ice cream, the same one that stained the bulky man’s clothes. His face went ashen as the realization dawned on him.

        Uh-oh. His adam’s apple bobbed up nervously.

        "You!"

        Before the man could go near him, he grabbed Devon’s hand and dashed away from the ice cream stand. Thankfully, they were able to escape safely. 

• • •

        HE DID COUNTLESS OF ERRANDS for her, chores that takes twelve hours to finish and the worst thing that he ever dealt with was when he’d get dragged along with her shopping spree.

        "Which one looks good on me? The dark one or the light one?" Devon asked as she held two dresses that were hanged in a hook. Swarovski beads adorned the two chiffon dresses; they had the same style yet contrasting colors.

        He rolled his eyes in annoyance. What a dumb question. "They’re both the same. The only difference is the color. The other one’s black, and the other one’s white," Nathaniel replied irately.

        They’ve spent three damn hours choosing dresses. Every one hour, she’d only select at least two clothes. 

        Her brows constricted upon hearing his reply. She grudgingly tossed the dresses on the side as she glared at him. The blonde stomped her heels on the tiled floor angrily, seething, creating a sound similar to a nail on a chalkboard. 

        That sounded so ugly in his ears.

        He never missed any day of this week without experiencing any misery in her hands.

• • •

        "SLAVE, IT’S THAT TIME the month," she blurted out.

        Devon wasn’t shameful. She was brazen enough to express anything to him.

        Why do I have to do this shit for her? He thought exasperatedly. 

        "And?" He arched his brow and stared at her, he knew what she meant, but he wanted to pretend that he had no idea what she was indicating.