34th Debt

(Warning: Contents are not suitable for readers below 16 years old. This chapter contains violence and extensive language. Read at your own risk.) 

Sacrifice

DEVON WAS HUNGRY. The foods she'd eaten the past two days were only bread and water. She was ragged now. Her hair was a mess and her dress was tattered. So far, she hadn't experienced anything grave than a slap or scratch from Laura.

        An hour ago, she'd already given her letter to one of Laura's men, who'd deliver the letter to Nathaniel. He'd probably received it by now.

        She just hoped that they'd somehow seen the secret message she wrote. She sat down and pulled her knees up her chest.

        It was morning, but darkness reigned over. She suddenly heard someone's footfalls. Someone was coming her way.

        A silhouette of a man suddenly appeared outside the barred cell. "Devon . . ." he called out.

        She looked up, squinted her eyes as she tried to identify the person outside. "Who the fuck are you?" she asked, her voice devoid of emotion.

        "I-It's me . . ." he trailed off, "JC."

        Her eyes widened in surprise as he said his name. She was shocked, but a few seconds after, the look of blankness was back on her face. "So you're part of this plan, huh?" she asked bitterly. "Tell me, was breaking my heart part of your damned plan?"

        She heard him take a sharp intake of breath. Despite the darkness, she saw him nod curtly. "Yes," he admitted.

        Devon decided to interrogate JC, maybe coax him to help her get out. She had a feeling that he wasn't really putting his heart into this 'revenge' plan against her. "Why are you part of this?" she inquired, trying to sound civil.

        "I needed money," was his simple answer. "All I had to do was befriend you, make you fall for me and then break your heart. I thought it was easy to do . . ." he trailed off, "but you see, I'd fallen for you for real at that time. It wasn't difficult to love you."

        For a moment, she wavered at his statement but recovered quickly. He loved her? Unbelievable. "Love me?" she snorted, laughing mockingly. "That's funny coming from someone like you."

        "I'm sorry," he murmured, ducking his head; she knew he felt ashamed, embarrassed, pitiful and worthless. "I wanted to get out of here a long time ago, but couldn't. It was hard. Sh-she threatened me."

        "Whatever." She rolled her eyes, even though he couldn't see it. "It's such a romantic confession coming from you, you know. I'm gonna die anytime soon. Boo-hoo, this is the part where the protagonist found out that the guy she used to love truly loved her. How tragic," she blabbered sarcastically.

        JC expelled a contemplative sigh. In a low, hushed voice, he said, "I-I can help you get out."

        Devon faked a grunt. She didn't want him to know how desperate she was to get out of this prison; he might use that against her or take advantage of her. "Tch, why the sudden offer? Do you want something in return, JC?" she asked knowingly. "Do you think that acting like my knight-in-shining-armor will make me love you again?"

        She could see him shake his head. "No," he muttered, "but I want to do this to ask for your forgiveness."

        The moment he admitted his wrongdoings and his genuine feelings, she'd already forgiven him. But she wouldn't tell him, because there was a possibility that he'd change his mind. "What are you planning to do?"