13th Debt

Ball

        THE BALL, AS EXPECTED, WAS EXTRAVAGANT. A lot of people were draped on their best dress. Well-renowned entrepreneurs, famous celebrities and young future businessmen were gathered at the event.

        It was to be expected—the Clarkson was an influential family after all.

        Devon linked her arms with Nathaniel.

        She had been holding onto his arms as if her life depended on it. She tried her best to hide her apprehension, but it seemed like he noticed her uneasiness. “Are you okay?” Nathaniel asked, worried.

        She nodded glibly. “Yeah.”

        “Just relax,” he wheedled, “Do you want a drink?”

        “Sure.”

        He called the waiter and asked for a drink.

        The waiter handed the two of them a bloody-mary. She propped her elbow on the cocktail table, taking a swig. She took a sharp intake of breath and exhaled deeply. The alcohol somehow managed to calm her nerves.

        I guess I’ll have to have some fun, she thought.

        IN THE CENTER CORNER of the event area, there was a narrow silver table where all veteran businessmen were gathered. She saw her father converse with the other business owners. Then there’s Sammuel Clarkson—a blonde, sinewy man, who’s the same age as him. The two men had the same body built and both par with the degree of superiority in the business industry. They were talking about some matters that she could never fathom and would rather not bother doing so.

        “Long time no see, Devon Gale.” A familiar voice said. She turned around to identify the person.

        She arched her brow at the brunet male. He had a tall, athletic frame. His prominent green eyes twinkled, just by one look, one could tell that he was Mr. Congeniality. “Oh, it’s Montgomery,” she uttered dully.

        “Still grumpy as ever, huh.”

        “Shut the hell up,” she scoffed, “Why are you here anyway?”

        Stephen Montgomery was her second cousin from her father’s side.  They were childhood friends. He was the optimistic type of guy, always friendly and approachable, born with an innate good vibe. He was dazzling like the usual—which was one of the reasons why she hated him. It was as if that smile on his face was inherent. They were the polar opposite of each other.

       “I’m a businessman, remember? An heir, that is,” he replied, smiling. The statement was supposed to sound arrogant, but when it came from him, it was more like a humble victory speech from a down-to-earth winner.

         She rolled her eyes. “Whatever.” Why is this guy always so carefree? It’s like he doesn’t have any problem in this world.

        Nathaniel made his appearance, feigning cough. “Uhm, am I interrupting something?” He asked.

        Stephen scanned him from head-to-toe. It wasn’t the type of scrutiny that made him feel self-conscious or uneasy, it was more of studying him. “Who must you be?” He asked, shooting Devon a knowing look.

        She glared at Stephen, and then turned her gaze to Nathaniel. “He’s my—” Slave, she wanted to say but it sounded so inappropriate. She cogitated for a more appropriate word, scanning through her imaginary thesaurus.