33rd Debt

Save Her

DEVON TREMBLED as she reread the text message from Nathaniel. Her body grew cold, her face turning pale as she dialed his number. His phone rang, and someone picked up on the sixth ring. "You bitch!" she sputtered through gritted teeth. "What have you done?!"

        A derisive laughter rang out on the other end. "I haven't done anything yet," Laura hissed, "but one wrong move, I'll make sure he's dead."

        Shit, shit, shit. "W-What do you want?" she stammered.

        "I want you to surrender yourself," said Laura, "without any help from the authorities. Don't even try calling your godfather for help."

        She tried to think of the possibility that she was bluffing, and that, Laura only stole Nathaniel's phone. "You're . . . bluffing."

        "I'm not bluffing," she scoffed.

        Devon heard two distinct male voices in the background. She was sure that it was Nathaniel, talking with his friend.

         "My men are surrounding him, and if you ever dare contacting the cops now, I'll make sure he's dead with just one phone call."

        She paced around the room frantically, massaging her forehead in distress. Nelly looked at her with confusion. She mouthed, it's urgent, I need to leave.

        Her manager understood. Nelly nodded permissively.

        "W-Where are you right now?"

        She cradled her phone between her shoulder and ear as she grabbed her bag from the desk. "I'll tell you exactly where I am, but for now, go drive your car. Alone," she instructed, emphasizing the word 'alone.'

        Devon ran towards the stairs, on her way to the parking lot. She was currently at the 10th floor, but she didn't care about it, because right now, adrenaline was pumping through her veins.

• • •

DEVON DROVE to the address Laura had given her. She knew it was risky, but she couldn't care less. She'd rather have herself as a hostage rather than Nathaniel.

        She wanted to call Leonel Smithson but decided against it. For sure, Laura would know if she did that. But then, for reassurance, she sent Nathaniel and his uncle an ambiguous text. She was well-aware that her phone was tapped by Laura.

        The address Laura gave was located somewhere in the woods. She knew exactly where it was. She received a phone call from her godfather but rejected it. If she did that, it'd harm Nathaniel's life.

        In the middle of her drive, she received a phone call from Nathaniel's number. She pressed a button on the hands-free kit and answered it.

        "You better not tell or call anyone, or else . . ." Laura threatened.

        "I'm not doing anything!" she exclaimed vehemently. "I'm on my way!"

        "Good girl," she said complacently, and then hung up.

        An hour later, she finally arrived at the isolated forest Fear crept up her system, and the darkness didn't help in calming her nerves.