18th Debt

I’m Starting To

        “IT’S SO HOT in here! Why the hell am I here anyway?” Devon griped, pursing her lips in frustration.

        Her father coaxed her into doing a charity visit to an orphanage that their company sponsored. She wasn’t really fond of doing this type of work—she wasn’t even fit to do an act of kindness. “You’ve been complaining a lot, Devon,” Nathaniel shot her a warning look, “Can’t you just pretend that you’re enjoying this? You’re scaring those kids.”

        She scanned her surroundings, and Nathaniel was right; she did scare many children. Innocent little faces were staring at her with fear; some little girls were trembling, some little boys were cowering and the others were recoiling.

        She glared at Nathaniel. “I am not scary!” She hollered defensively.

        “You’ve been frowning for an hour now, and your abominable aura is radiating. These kids ain’t gonna’ like you if you continue to be cranky,” he chided, “So will you please just fake a smile and be nice and shit?”

        Playing nice wasn’t her forte. But for the sake of these innocent children, she’ll try her best to look affable.

        The program was boring, and there wasn’t much to do. She took a lungful of air and sighed, trying to think of something that’d somehow entertain them. “Hey kids!” Devon shouted, grabbing everyone’s attention.

        Innocent eyes turned to her direction, baffled. “Come here and gather up!”

        Reluctantly, the little girls and boys surrounded her.

        She cleared her throat and said, “Let’s play a game!” That’s what all she could think of, and she hoped that her plan would somehow work.

        “What are you trying to pull off, Devon?” Nathaniel mouthed quizzically.

        “I’m trying to embark fun,” she replied, “You cooperate with me!”

        “Fine,” Nathaniel conceded.

        “Think of a game, fast!” Devon murmured.

        Nathaniel scanned the place, trying to find something that they could use for a game. As his eyes spotted a ball, his expression lit. “Okay kids,” he declared, “We’ll be playing basketball.”

        Devon arched her brow and stared at him in disbelief. “No fair, that’s for boys only,” she complained.

        He ignored her complaint and proceeded to give the mechanics. “The boys will play basketball and will be divided into two teams,” he started, “Meanwhile, the girls will also be divided into two groups and they’ll have a contest on who will have the loudest cheer.”

        Her brows furrowed. “Seriously? Cheer?” Devon said dubiously. “What is this? High school where all the bitches would cheer for the jocks? That’s so stupid.”

        “Just go with it,” Nathaniel cajoled.

        She acquiesced and said, “Fine.”

        “GO! GO! GO RED TEAM!” The little girls shouted as loud as they could, springing up and down as they cheered for their respective team.

       “BLUE TEAM FOR THE WIN! BLUE TEAM FOR THE WIN! BLUE! BLUE! BLUE!” The opposing group countered.

        The little boys aging six and up played basketball determinedly; running around, shooting and passing the ball to their teammates.