5th Debt

Madam E

        WHY WAS HE CHASING after her? He didn’t know why, he just did. His instincts told him so. His subconscious pushed him to. She had that inexplicable expression on her face that he didn’t like seeing. She looked pained and somehow that was one the emotions he didn’t want for Devon to feel. He knew how fragile she was as a person, he had heard about the rumors circulating in the office on how the president’s daughter attempted suicide countless of times. It might just be gossip and not a proven fact, but he gives a shit about her. He really does.

        She was still near his sight. She wore a simple sunny dress. He was surprised to see how she managed to sprint so fast with her six-inch-heels. This woman is a monster, he thought as he quickened the pace of his running.

        He saw Devon halt in front of a bookstore. She panted heavily, probably exhausted. Who wouldn’t get tired running in a six-inch-heels anyway? 

        "Devon! Wait!" 

        Tiredness was etched on her visage. She coolly composed herself and stared at him as she placed a hand on her hip. "What are you doing here? Why are you chasing after me?" Devon asked, arching her brows. The frazzled expression he had seen her with at the coffee shop moments ago somehow shifted into a nonchalant one. 

        Nathaniel heaved out a sigh of relief. He thought she was in some sort of depressive state. Wait, why would him hugging Hannah upset her anyway? That was none of her business.

        "I don’t know, I mean—I saw you and I thought that maybe you’d—uh..." 

        She raised her brow and rolled her eyes. "What? Ask me to have coffee with you two and become some sort of third wheel in your date?" Devon spat sardonically.

        Now that she mentioned the word date, he suddenly remembered Hannah. He palmed his face in dismay. Shit! How could he leave her behind? That reunion was getting better, but Devon’s presence suddenly distracted him. 

        "........." 

        Silence fell between them. He didn’t know what to respond. 

        "Anything else you wanna say?"

        He shook his head. "Nothing."

        "Get out of my sight, then, before I change my mind and ask you to do an errand that even a mere human would not be able to do," exclaimed Devon irately.

        Tch, she’s still grouchy as usual. He thought. 

• • •

        HE CAME BACK TO THE coffee shop, hoping that Hannah was still at the spot where they sat. His eyes scanned the throng of people. There she was, waiting for him, her expression expectant. His face had lightened up, relieved when he saw her seated at the very same spot. 

        "Nate!" called out Hannah as their gaze met.

        He sat across her and scratched the back of his head, smiling coyly. "I’m sorry about that," he muttered apologetically. "Something urgent came up and the company president’s daughter needed my assistance."

        "Ah, I see," her lips formed into a thin line. "Who is she and what is she to you?"

        "You see, I’m her caretaker."