Part Thirty-Eight

{'John Smith Barry's Private Drag and Grey Team' by James Pollard from Wikimedia Commons}

With Sabien currently enjoying his much appreciated respite, Maurice was certain to be found at the storefront and tradeyard himself so Nathaniel wasted no time in keeping to his word and ordered a carriage to The Bend as soon as he left Lisette's side. To him it seemed most effective to make his proposal to the patriarch of the family because it was evident to him that in the end, whether or not Lisette would be allowed to marry him relied on Maurice's permission.

When Nathaniel arrived at the Olivays' mercantile establishment, one of the workers in the shop escorted him through the storefront and tradeyard to a smaller building at the back of the property which housed the office. Maurice sat behind the desk busily attending to paperwork that was spread out before him, an assistant at his side holding yet more documents to be gone through, though he seemed entirely to disregard all of the work before him at the worker's announcement of his guest.

"Nathaniel! What a delightful surprise!" Maurice exclaimed with a smile on his face as he rose from his desk to greet his visitor, "my you have become a sturdy one, haven't you now?"

"'Tis the clean life of a seaman, Mister Olivay!" Nathaniel exclaimed, holding his Captain's hat in one hand as he shook Maurice's hand with the other.

Maurice laughed in response and nodded, "good, good! Did you come alone? Sabien is not with you?"

"No Sir," Nathaniel's right hand returned to his hat once it was released and he chuckled softly, "I came on my own business, Sabien is already aware of my reason for coming to see you."

"Oh? Business you say?" Maurice guided Nathaniel over to the small sitting area near the door and directed his assistant to bring them some tea and once he had exited, Maurice turned his attention back to Nathaniel, "now then, what sort of business have you brought?"

"I have a proposition for you."

"Ah? What about?" Maurice asked curiously.

Nathaniel gently cleared his throat, "well sir, both Lisette and Sabien have informed me that you are arranging a marriage between Lisette and Mister Wilfred Therouche, is this correct?"

Maurice nodded a few times, "why yes... I am. What of it?"

"Well sir, I am not certain if you know this, but before I left Alémaire I proposed marriage to Lisette," Nathaniel chuckled slightly bitterly but amused in a way at his own words, "and she politely declined."

"Ah yes..." Maurice smirked slightly and nodded his head, "of this I have heard."

Nathaniel briefly laughed mirthlessly from his nose,"I see... well given her circumstances, she has accepted my offer provided that you grant your permission once you hear my proposal."

"Is that so?" Maurice's smile could only be seen in his fat cheeks as they plumped and his eyes as they squinted slightly, his mouth entirely hidden by the thick hairs of his mustache, "then what do you propose?"

"Well Sir, I have already spoken with Lisette to see what she had to say because I would not be so bold as to propose this alternative had she not agreed," Nathaniel's tone was firm and unwavering and he maintained steady eye contact with Maurice while he spoke, "I would be more than willing to make any deliveries necessary or import any goods you request, as well as act as a middleman for trade deals free of charge... on the condition that you grant me Lisette's hand in the stead of Mister Therouche."

Maurice was silent for several moments as he considered what Nathaniel said before he finally spoke again, "and you say that Lisette has already agreed to this?"