Part Forty-Two

{'The Black Sea at Night' by Ivan Aivazovsky from Wikimedia Commons}

"Dearest Aunt and Uncle,

I write this letter in great distress though not on account of regret for anything I have done, but what I am planning to do. I am thoroughly grateful for all that you both have ever done for me and I could not have asked for a better life than the one which you have provided. In no way should all of your kindness and generosity ever be repaid with anything other than gratitude and certainly not deceit, though I am afraid that the latter is what I have given you.

Sabien Olivay is a wonderful man and I couldn't be more grateful that you would find such a caring and considerate individual to be my husband, but through no fault of his own, I hold no spousal affection for him nor have I ever viewed him in such a way. My affection for him centers on that which a sister might have for her brother and I fear to say that I would ever love him in any other way.

I very much wished to do as you both had hoped and to ease your fears for my future by committing to the marriage and I felt as though I had succeeded in part, but it became increasingly obvious to me that while I was fulfilling the hopes of some of those around us, I was also betraying the feelings of those personally involved and the truth of my own feelings became too much to bear.

I can offer you no further explanation concerning my actions, I can only apologize that I consented to something which my heart didn't fully agree with and even though it is beyond my right to ask, I hope that you will continue to treat the Olivays as family regardless of my absence though I know in my heart that my betrayal will not affect your behavior towards Sabien and his family.

My life with you has been blessed and I consider myself more fortunate than I deserve because through you I was able to know what a loving family could truly be and for that I am eternally grateful.

I know that these words will do little to comfort you, as they do even less to assuage the guilt I feel for how I have wronged those that I love. I hope that someday you will understand and find it in your hearts to forgive me.

All my love,

Genevieve"

The air was warm and it was warmer still beneath the thick foliage of the forest. The wind blew at intervals, bringing with it the sound and scent of the sea from below the cliffs, the leaves rustling loudly with each gentle gust and revealing beams of moonlight which kissed the moss covered ground around Lisette's feet. The warm serenity of her surroundings did little to sooth her and she felt the chill of anxiety as she awaited the arrival of Sabien and Genevieve. Her gaze drifted out over the black surface of the secluded spring, the moons' glow creating blurred splotches on the water as it rippled and the falls bubbled loudly. She saw herself, Genevieve, and Sabien as they played in the water and lay in the sun on the mossy rocks that surrounded it, simply enjoying themselves and not thinking of their futures and the stipulations behind their even knowing each other. A sigh passed her lips as she fondly recalled the memories though they were bittersweet and she tightened her traveling cloak over the simple brown muslin gown she wore, though she was little comforted by the effort.

It was such a time of night that all had gone to bed and none had yet risen to start their days, the sun not even peeking over the horizon and the gentle chirping of the crickets and steady sound of the spring lulled Lisette into a semi doze despite her nervous state. It was the feel of a hand on her shoulder that tugged her suddenly from her temporary respite, a shriek almost erupting from her though it was halted as Genevieve came into view. They embraced one another tightly, their foreheads pressing together tenderly as Lisette stroked Genevieve's cheeks and she in turn held Lisette's wrists, rubbing them gently with her thumbs.