Part Forty-Three

{'The New Zealand Clipper Ship Piako' by Jack Spurling from Wikimedia Commons}

*Content advisory: implied past child abuse*

The Gallant was silent and dark when they boarded, none of the crew yet awake save for Nathaniel and the one who had gone with him to retrieve Genevieve and Lisette. The two men secured the rowboat before Nathaniel led them all to the Captain's quarters and closed the door behind them. The room was already lit by a plain chandelier composed of several small lanterns that hung over a large table strewn with maps and navigational devices at the center of the chamber. The space outside of the better lit area was shrouded in darkness but not so much that it wasn't easy to tell how lavish Nathaniel's quarters actually were, a fact that didn't surprise Lisette in the slightest, much as the name of his ship hadn't surprised her.

"This is Lorenz Iverno, my second," Nathaniel spoke evenly once he came to a stop beside the table and gestured towards the crew member that had accompanied him as he came to a stop beside him with his hands lightly clasped behind his back. Lorenz stood a few inches taller than Nathiel with a slimmer frame, his skin was a deep bronze and accented by a thick black mustache and matching eyebrows that rested over his serious dark brown eyes, "should I not be present and you find yourself in need of something, you may always speak with Lorenz. I have known him since the Academy and I trust him as much as I trust Sabien."

Lorenz bowed solemnly, his eyes closing briefly, a few strands of the thick black hair atop his head slipping loose from where it had all been combed back from his face and hanging casually over his forehead. Lisette and Genevieve both curtseyed to him and bowed their heads slightly as Nathaniel gave Lorenz a firm pat on his shoulder, "there are still a few hours of darkness left, get some rest."

"Yes, Sir. Ladies." Lorenz nodded to Nathaniel before bowing his head again to Genevieve and Lisette after which he passed them and exited the room, closing the door behind him.

For the first time that night, Nathaniel's gaze flickered between Genevieve and Lisette. There was a thick tension in the air that both of the women could feel, and both could understand why it was present. They each only met his eyes briefly, but were quick to lower them and as they did, Nathaniel cleared his throat, "I will sleep here and you both will have my bedchamber."

Lisette had curled her arm firmly around Genevieve's and they both were looking at the sea worn but polished floor beneath their feet but now they looked up, scanning the room briefly to see where exactly Nathaniel planned to sleep before they spotted a section of the series of trunks that were built into a part of the wall and topped by cushions secured to the wood, creating a small settee that hardly seemed suitable for anyone let alone a man of Nathaniel's size, but it also hardly seemed appropriate for them to argue against the situation nor Nathaniel's generosity.

He moved away from the table after collecting a bit of flint and tinder and lit a lantern on the wall to the right, only a few feet away from his proposed bed. The light cast a clearer view of the door beside it which he then opened to reveal his bedchamber. It wasn't entirely cramped and would suit Genevieve and Lisette, but aside from sleeping and possibly dressing, it was obviously meant for little else.

"You are both free to move about the ship during the day, however, you must never go below deck," he looked at them each sternly as they turned back towards him, "I also must ask that you never leave my quarters after dark."

They did not argue with his request. They would be the only women on board for the entirety of the trip and they knew that his strict direction was only for their own safety. They each gave a nod and he continued, "Of course your meals will be served here and if you need anything, do not hesitate to ask."