Part Forty

{'The Kiss' by Francesco Hayez from Wikimedia Commons}

The ceremony was as simple as it was grand. The grandeur likely being owed to Nadine while the simplicity was due to Sola out of her consideration for Genevieve. Sabien and Genevieve each displayed a genuine innocence that was derived from the fact that even though they had been expecting that moment for some time, it was now truly solidifying as though they were awakening from a dream. They would be an actual married couple and no longer able to act as though they were simply friends spending their days together and this realization caused them to react to one another with nervous sincerity that anyone watching could only consider to be out of the utmost purity and respect for one another.

There were few witnessing the exchange of vows without a bit of delight in their eyes, particularly on the bride's side. The wedding guests there by invitation of the Sembrolines were individuals who had watched Genevieve grow and surpass her life expectancy after her near fatal accident and there was a deep sense of solace present in each of them as very few of them watched on without tears in their eyes, grateful that she would have this day and that they would pay witness to it. The only guests at the wedding who didn't seem very interested nor pleased with the event passing were the Anoreens and to a lesser degree, Lisette, who did her best to appear happy for the bride and groom despite her heart being less inclined to agree with the sentiment.

It had been a year since the Olivays had met with the Anoreens to officially end an engagement that had never actually been official, only assumed, but a year often does little to mend broken hearts and Ellory was not present for the wedding although her parents were. Sabien had looked for her in the crowd as he awaited Genevieve's appearance, only to be disappointed but relieved that he did not see her. It was his own selfishness that made him want to see her in the crowd, but he understood why she wouldn't want to be there and he didn't wish her to be because he couldn't bare to think of what she would go through having to watch him marry someone else; afterall, who would want to see the person they loved married to another right before their eyes?

The ceremony itself took place in the morning and was only a fraction of the day, leaving the rest free for celebration. There was no lack of revelry from the guests at the wedding, each treating the day as blessed and everything they could hope for when it came their well wishes for the future of the bride and groom. It was all three members of the festivities could do to present themselves as equally joyous as everyone else, though maybe a little reserved. Lisette kept herself distracted through conversation, unwilling to acknowledge to herself that this was the reception for her beloved Genevieve and her dearest brother. Nathaniel did well to stay by her side and keep her busy with intelligent discussion and stories which only one who was well-traveled could deliver. It gave her a glimpse into what her future would be like once they were married and it wasn't altogether disappointing even if it wasn't exactly what she had envisioned for herself. At least her future groom was sociable and she couldn't deny that he was also very charismatic.

Genevieve and Sabien were busy for most of the earlier parts of the day greeting guests and thanking them for making the trip for their wedding, whether or not they both knew those that had attended the ceremony and the festivities that followed. Introductions were made between the two and their parents and each participated in conversation, keeping them both occupied into the afternoon, but not so occupied that Sabien wasn't very aware of Ellory's arrival when she slipped in quietly and unchaperoned in the late afternoon. She joined her parents who had been sure to say their greetings earlier and Sabien's heart sank when she didn't come to make her introduction and wouldn't even raise her eyes from where her hands were folded in front of her. It was just as well that she declined to meet his eye, he wouldn't have been able to keep hers had she raised them, he felt too guilty and saddened by the idea.