Part Fifty-Three

{'The Turkish Salon, Villa Hügel, Hietzing, Vienna 1855. Blue divan and borne-shaped seat, carpet, chandelier, curtains.' by Rudolf von Alt from Wikimedia Commons}

The smile on Julien's face showed the distinct sense of satisfaction that he felt after the visit with Lisette and Adelaide had concluded and he leaned back on the chaise again to enjoy the feeling of peace as Lenora continued to primly sit with her hands tightly clasped on one knee which was firmly folded over the other. There was no need for her to say anything in order for him to understand that she was not in the best of moods, he had known her long enough to be able to determine that and he remained silent for several moments, simply observing her before he spoke, "you are troubled."

Lenora's lips pursed and she rocked back slightly for a moment before she sighed, "'tis just that... well -- should we not have chastised Miss Olevine?"

"Whatever for?" Julien smiled and sat up, placing one booted foot on the floor while the other slid behind Lenora and he cupped one of her hands in his, "Adelaide seems happier than she has been in a long while and her progress is exactly what we had hoped."

"Oh! Yes -- and I couldn't be happier for that," Lenora turned towards Julien and grasped his hand in both of hers, an earnest expression on her face before she allowed her gaze to drop from his, "'tis only... is it really the best example to set for her? Delaying a planned activity in favor of something else?"

Julien gazed on Lenora adoringly and brushed his thumb gently below her lower lip with a smile on his face. She leaned into his hand and closed her eyes as he brushed it along her jaw and placed a firm kiss on her lips before leaning back and looking at her once again, his smile still present, "you needn't worry so. Miss Olevine remained at my request, and I am certain that the activity she had planned for Adelaide can be made up later."

His hand moved back along her jaw and into her hair, his fingers lightly rubbing along her hairline and for a moment she was silent. A small shake of her head was given and she leaned it against Julien's arm, smiling and petting his thigh, "of course. I am being silly."

"Then we are in agreement? Miss Olevine should remain?"

Lenora nodded and was once again graced by an affectionate kiss and a stroke of her cheek before he shifted his position to place both feet on the floor and rise from their shared seat, "I am glad that is settled -- now, while I adore my time with you and hate to leave your side, I am afraid I must ride out to the Fairway Farm and check on the mill."

He gave Lenora another kiss and was on his way to the open terrace doors when she called out to him, "darling -- might I deliver her the news?"

"Of course, my love. Anything you wish," Julien said with a bright smile as he began to stride along the terrace, skirting the house.

It was some time after their visit had ended that Adelaide's excitement had subsided and she was able to focus enough to commit to her lessons. Since their painting expedition had concluded without either of them actually putting brush to canvas, Lisette decided it was only fair to allow Adelaide an activity which would be educational but still in the realm of art and so she selected a book of poems and asked Adelaide to practice reading aloud so that she might correct her if need be. She paused every now and then, looking to Lisette for guidance or questioning what a word meant if she didn't recognize it and it reminded Lisette of how much she adored the little girl and enjoyed her position as her governess. A fleeting feeling of worry befell her every now and then as she feared that the misstep that morning would mean the end of her time at the Abeleur manor. Adelaide was busily reading whenever this concern crossed her mind and didn't notice her expression change, though it didn't change for long.