Part Fifty-Six

{'The Grand Canal, Venice' by Thomas Moran from Wikimedia Commons}

Esece was the largest port city of The Free Lands and the most welcoming settlement in the territory of the Fae, though not many Fae actually lived within the city itself, preferring the quiet of their woodland burrows to the bustle of the grand trade city. The forest where they made their homes encircled the sturdy exterior walls of Esece, lending to the idea that the Fae were always watching, a rumor that had been perpetuated by the disappearance of those who had committed crimes and escaped justice.

The otherwise law-abiding citizens bustled about the broad streets that bordered and crossed over canals which guided fresh clear water through the city from a river that flowed from the northwest, following the circular pattern of the settlement until the waters fed out into the sea. The streets themselves were gray cobble, something that stood out amongst the uniform white stone of the buildings themselves, all of stately construction and few differing in appearance from any other, though the city was not without color. Rooftops and window panes were colored according to the whim of their owners, and colorful canopies decorated walkways outside of buildings -- especially businesses -- with the market district being a practical beacon of color, the street stalls a grand canvas of vibrant hues easily visible from the high towers of the city's pinnacle construction, The Chambers of the Council.

The Council was the ruling collective of representatives of every race that chose to dwell within the borders of Esece and their residence was the largest structure of the city, standing at the very center like a guardian of those below. The entire city was a spectacle and this edifice was the culmination of its beauty, but all of these sights were lost to Genevieve as she rode in silence within the confines of Nathaniel's carriage, her gaze never leaving her hands. She felt that she was not meant to see the brilliance of the city that she should be seeing for the first time with Lisette. It was supposed to be a sight that they were going to see together, and without Lisette by her side, she felt as though she were cheating by taking in the scenery around her; Cheating her loved one who was supposed to be with her enjoying them.

Nathaniel sat across from her in equal silence. She hadn't spoken a word to him since their argument in her cabin and he was satisfied with that because he had nothing more to say to her, nothing at least that wouldn't lead them into another confrontation and nothing that wouldn't expose the fact that he considered Genevieve the cause of Lisette's loss.

The longer the two were in the carriage, the more tension there was in the air, and Nathaniel breathed an audible sigh of relief when they finally pulled down the drive along the side of his home. It was a city manor that was not unlike the others within the vicinity, but all of which different from the buildings in the market district because unlike them, these ones exhibited grassy yards and pruned trees some of which offering fragrant blossoms or fruits.

"Captain Giullero!" A middle aged woman, plump in a dark brown frock and white apron with frizzy brown hair that was tucked beneath a ruffled white cap, rushed out through the back door as soon as the carriage came to a halt at the rear of the manor. Her smooth features, decorated sparsely by fine lines and a smattering of light freckles, was etched with concern, "you poor dear! We've been so worried!"

"Thank you, Misses Montrose," was Nathaniel's somewhat strained response as he climbed from the carriage, thumping to the cobblestone with both booted feet, "We were fortunate for the appearance of Captain Caraway and his ship, otherwise who knows how we may have fared"

"Oh -- think not on it! You're here now and that's what matters!" Her petticoats rustled as she led Nathaniel towards the manor, opening the door for him, "now, please, rest in the parlor and Laura will be in shortly with some victuals."