Part Thirteen

{'The Market Place and Town Hall, Haarlem' by Gerrit Adriaensz Berckheyde from Wikimedia Commons}

There was a faint tension in the air at the breakfast table the next morning and Genevieve wasn't certain from whence it was emanating because all present appeared to be pleasantly civil. Over the course of the meal, it did become evident that there was something going on between Lisette and her mother and she couldn't help but watch them both carefully while being mindful not to stare.

"Truly it was difficult to see how immense Mai-Falais actually is when we arrived," Lisette used her fork to collect a mixture of eggs and ham that she had carefully cut into tiny bite size pieces as she responded to Sola's question about their plans for the day, "and the view from the windows during the rain was such a tease – I should love to explore the grounds with Miss Sembroline and my brother today."

"Oh no! That simply will not do!" Sola appeared genuinely fretful as she set down her own fork and wiped her hands with her pristine cloth napkin, "the grounds will be much too soggy and I fear that one of you, if not all – will lose your footing and injure yourself or step in a puddle and fall ill!"

"Perhaps I might offer an alternative?" Maurice spoke from behind his own napkin before he finished chewing his mouthful of food, carefully wiping his mouth and bristly salt and pepper mustache before he set the napkin down again, "perhaps you could make the trip to The Bend with Marques and I since Sabien was to meet us at the shop later anyway?"

"That's a wonderful idea!" Sola exclaimed with her hands clasped together, "the Square is paved as are the streets so there is less chance for loss of footing or inconvenient puddles!"

Marques smiled at his wife's exuberance over the solution and Nadine carefully avoided looking at Lisette as she turned her attention to Sabien and Genevieve, "what say you both? Miss Sembroline, would you be willing to show Sabien around Seldoné?"

The fact that Nadine had purposefully excluded Lisette wasn't lost on Genevieve who cast a glance first at Lisette before looking to Sabien with some hesitance at the idea of being alone with him, regardless of the fact that they would be in public. It wasn't that she was afraid he wouldn't be a gentleman as he had been since they met, but that she wasn't confident in herself as a companion. Lisette didn't look up from her plate nor did she attempt to include herself in the outing, though her brows did raise in acknowledgement of the snub. Sabien cleared his throat slightly before smiling and addressing his sister, "what do you say Lisette? Fancy getting to know Seldoné?"

"Most definitely," Lisette responded with a bright grin, "Exploration and the chance to obtain some new baubles, not to mention the fresh air after having been cooped up inside for three days – you all know I all but lost my mind."

This statement caused a gentle bout of amused laughter to spill from Sabien, Sola, and Marques while Genevieve delicately covered her mouth with her napkin in an attempt to hide her own soft laughter. On the other hand, Maurice didn't appear the least bit amused and Nadine wore a grave frown, which she followed up by clearing her throat before she returned to her meal.

"Wonderful!" Sola exclaimed as she held her napkin between both of her hands, "then Genevieve can act as your guide – oh! That's right my dear, you can take this time to begin thinking about what you will wear for your engagement party this autumn!"

Genevieve's face looked stricken as she took in her Aunt's words and it was easy enough for everyone to understand why, though Sola was ever the doting mother and offered her adoptive daughter a reassuring look, "never you fear, darling. It won't be a very large gathering, only those within the township with whom we are close."