Part Twenty-Six

{'Harding, Howell & Co premises' by Unknown from Wikimedia Commons}

The amount of time and effort it took the merchants of Seldoné to fill their stalls and shops with an adequate amount of goods weren't things that the two ladies thought of, but that didn't make them any less appreciative of the various wares that were displayed both inside and outside of stores as they made their way around the square and down the side streets with no particular goal in mind other than to enjoy themselves.

Plenty of times their eyes were caught by some new gown or ornate bauble and they mused on how they would each look in it or how they would style their hair to wear it but they always continued on their walk, until a satiny gown in the deepest shade of purple caught Lisette's eye, "that gown is absolutely – oh Genny we must try it on!"

Genevieve blushed, smiling somewhat sheepishly, "I don't know Lizzie... maybe it would look nice on you but I think it would not suit me very well."

Lisette smiled warmly and hugged her arm before tugging her towards the door, "well, if you feel that this is not particularly suitable for you, I am certain that we can find something equally lovely which you will feel more comfortable in."

Genevieve remembered the reaction to her dress at the engagement party and knew that Lisette wouldn't steer her wrong when it came to picking out something to wear that she would look lovely in as well as feel lovely in and because of that, she knew she could trust her to help choose a gown, even if it was just to try on for fun.

"Good afternoon ladies!" The shopkeeper, a short, rotund man with a bald head and thick, dark mustache – greeted them cheerfully as they entered the shop, though upon catching a better glimpse of Genevieve he faltered slightly, momentarily dropping his smile which he quickly donned again before continuing, "we have a nice selection of gowns today – is there something you'd like in particular?"

"Greetings to you as well!" Lisette responded while Genevieve gave a pleasant smile and nod of her head, aware of the reaction the shopkeeper had enough so that she tugged her hood over the right side of her face slightly, "actually, I would love to see the gown in the window if that wouldn't be too much trouble?"

"Of course! You have a good eye! Albert!" The shopkeeper called as he stepped up into the window display.

"Yes, father?" A handsome young man that appeared to be around their age with dark hair worn almost as loose as Sabien's but still seeming to have a little more of an intentional style came from the next room. As his gaze fell on Lisette, he offered her a smile that suggested he obviously found her appearance appealing before his gaze turned to Genevieve, like his father had, he faltered slightly but managed to give her a smile as well before he continued towards the shopkeeper.

"Assist me with retrieving this gown please," He was already lifting the stand that the dress was on which allowed it to be fully displayed in the window and began to guide it to Albert starting with the top. Once Albert had a good grasp on it, the shopkeeper carefully climbed down from the window display to help his son set it on the floor.

Lisette had seen many exquisite dresses, but she had a hard time remembering a time when she had so promptly and thoroughly fallen in love with one. The dress consisted of a satiny fabric that was a darker purple than the layer of sheer fabric that lay over it. The darker fabric had no sleeves so that the sheer fabric showed a hint of skin where it lay loosely around the shoulders and upper arms. The neckline was low and squared and around it was a low ruffle that went up around the back of the neck and throughout the whole thing were hints of gold as though single strands had been woven into the sheer fabric rather than embroidered and around the bodice just under the breasts was a thick ribbon of dark purple with a gold trim and matching ornate embroidery of floral ivy that encircled the torso.