Part Four

{'The Old Tea Pot' by Ella Sophonisba Hergesheimer from Wikimedia Commons}

It was some time until she and Sabien had both calmed down enough to return home, each still suffocating under their own thoughts of what had been told to them that morning. It was hard not to brood and remain unfocused as they approached the gate to the front pathway, bumping into each other as they arrived.

"My apologies!" They each said distractedly nearly at the same time before they realized to whom they each spoke. Sabien gave Lisette a somewhat cynical smile and she returned it with a more morose one as he opened the gate and ushered her through with a hand to the small of her back. Neither of them really relished the idea of returning at that moment and so they both skirted around to the rear of the estate where deliveries were made and the staff had their entrance.

"Will you wait for me in the garden room?" Sabien gently addressed his sister who nodded in return and went on down the path while he stepped inside.

It was fortunate that it was spring and they were able to remain outside for a long period of time without catching a chill since they had both skipped lunch while they were avoiding the manor. It hadn't actually occurred to Lisette how late it had gotten until the pains in her stomach had finally caught her attention and she left her thoughts to find that the sun was noticeably lower in the sky than it had been when she had first left.

She did as Sabien requested and ventured to the garden room, a small house with windows all around it including its roof. It was really more for the residents of the manor to relax in rather than a place for entertaining guests so it would suit the two of them just fine. She removed her cloak, setting it on a small table near the door once it was closed behind her before she went and sat down, once more alone with her thoughts while she waited for her brother to join her.

When he did arrive, he carried a large tray that was filled with meats, cheeses, bread, and fruits and behind him, one of their maids that still remained followed him with their tea. Lisette welcomingly opened the door for them and made certain that the table at the center of the room was clear for them to set it all down before she began to fix herself and her brother their tea.

"Please remember not to tell Mister and Misses Olivay that we're out here," Sabien spoke with emphasis on his parents' titles as though he had already determined that he'd rather be disowned than go along with their plans and it was all Sabien needed to say to the maid, she had undoubtedly heard the commotion from earlier and likely understood why, "if they ask simply say we have not yet returned."

She nodded before she retreated from the garden house, closing the door behind her as she went. Sabien took a seat across from Lisette and accepted the tea she offered and for some time they both just sat in silence and ate the assortment of vittles Sabien had brought. Neither of them even acted remotely like the other existed, perhaps their meal was a momentary respite from the aggravation their minds had each suffered and they both preferred to just enjoy it for the time but eventually they finished their food and sat with their cups in hand, gazing into them as though the slightly transparent, golden brown liquid would offer some sort of answers to their dilemmas.

"...what will I tell Ellory?" Sabien spoke in a raspy and saddened tone when he finally broke their silence. He had set his cup down and was leaning forward slightly with his hands clasped; his gaze directed at the floor, "she will be heartbroken..."

"No more than you I expect," Lisette replied softly before she took another sip of her tea, "though neither of your hearts mean anything to our parents it would seem."

"And yours as well."

"Mine matters little when so much is being taken from the two people I care for most in this life."