Part Fourteen

{'The Little Table' by Henri Le Sidaner from Wikimedia Commons}

The Clothiers was owned by Allero and Suzanna, close friends of the Sembrolines who had been clothing the family since before Genevieve came to live with her Aunt and Uncle. It was a suitable situation for Genevieve because they weren't strangers and did their best to make sure she was comfortable. Suzanna presented Genevieve with the usual colors she typically wore, mostly cream shades and natural colors, though with permission, Lisette sought out something different that while not typical of Genevieve would not be too extreme in color, bringing forth a silken fabric that was a distinct rose pink, only a few shades lighter than Genevieve's cheeks. It was not altogether subdued, but it was also not an incredibly vibrant shade like one which Lisette would typically choose for herself.

"Oh!" Suzanna exclaimed in a mixture of surprise and pleasure, "something new! Is this fine by you, Genevieve?"

Genevieve had been sitting with Sabien on a loveseat upholstered by cream colored fabric with large roses embroidered on it while Lisette made her search through the shop's fabric stores, though now she rose to examine the selected fabric more closely before giving Lisette an uncertain look, "are you certain this will suit me?"

"Of course it will! I would not do you an injustice by selecting a color that wouldn't suit you!" While her response contained words that would point to insult, if anything her tone was comforting as she reassured Genevieve before looking to Suzanna to seek her confirmation, she had known the girl much longer after all and was in fact a seamstress so while Lisette had no doubt in her choice, she was certain that Suzanna's influence and knowledge would back her words, "Misses Reuvenaux, what say you? Is this not a lovely color for our dear Miss Sembroline?"

Suzanna seemed delighted by both being asked her opinion and by the concept of dressing Genevieve in a color she hadn't worn before and the feeling showed on her face as she stretched out a foot of the fabric, "undoubtedly! Fear not, Genevieve, Miss Olivay does right by you in her selection and I must declare I could not have chosen a more favorable color than she has."

Genevieve's expression, while still remaining timid, seemed to become a little more assured and even excited by the prospect of how the gown might look when finished and gave Suzanna a small, though not unenthused, nod, "then yes, 'tis fine by me."

"Very good!" Suzanna excitedly hurried away with the fabric roll in order to make her notes on the gown as the two ladies returned to the sitting area towards the front of the shop where Sabien was currently enjoying a cup of tea while looking out the large window behind the loveseat.

It was Lisette's turn to discuss her own gown when Suzanna returned and because she had been oddly inspired by the designs of the clothing worn by the Elven man she had seen on the street, she had no qualms with speaking closely with Suzanna over the possibility of more details being added to her own gown. Suzanna was taken aback a bit by the requests for golden trim being added to an emerald green gown with accents of beaded designs being added to the bodice but it was simply because she had not been previously tasked with such a project.

"Generally when we receive customers from overseas, they require fashion that will allow them to blend in with the population of our country..." Suzanna thought for a moment while crossing her arms over her stomach and looking off towards nothing in particular before she returned her enthused gaze back to Lisette and offered her a warm smile, "I could most assuredly attempt what you ask, though I daresay it will require more input from you concerning the design... if I might have a few days to consider a few patterns, I shall send them to you forthwith?"

"Certainly! Please, do not rush, I would love to see what you have in mind!"

"Lizzie, do you not think that you might overshadow Miss Sembroline in such a fabulous gown?" Sabien said as he set his teacup down on the table while Genevieve sat beside him sipping her own tea. She looked slightly surprised by the slight reprimand Sabien offered his sister for the considerable work she was requesting of Suzanna. Lisette looked stunned by the words as though what Sabien suggested hadn't even occurred to her.