Part Eleven

{'Russian: Living room of Alexandra Feodorovna' by Eduard Hau from Wikimedia Commons}

It had already been three days since the rains began and Lisette sat on the floor with her arm resting on the sill of one of the many windows of the large parlor while she stared through the ripples of water that flooded the surface of the glass.

"Lisette, you aren't a child, stop sitting on the floor," Nadine said from her seat on one of the room's many sofas, Sola sat beside her and Genevieve on a chair beside the coffee table in front of them, all three of them focused on their needlework, "certainly there are better things to do than listlessly staring out of the window."

"Perhaps, though I assure you, I have done them all," it was easily seen that Lisette was going stir-crazy being stuck inside. It wasn't that she particularly disliked being indoors; she simply disliked not being able to leave when she chose. She had planned the following days after their arrival carefully and her hopes had been dashed by the weather. Mai-Falais was situated on the outskirts of Bellepoint, which was the northernmost section of the popular seaside town and with Genevieve as their guide, she had planned on exploring the property with Sabien, believing that leisurely walks and new scenery would make it easier and more comfortable for all of them to get to know each other. As it was, they were all stuck inside until the weather cleared.

"I find that highly unlikely," Nadine scoffed with a shake of her head.

"Oh indeed mother, 'tis highly likely when one only spends perhaps five minutes on any chosen activity," Sabien spoke with a smirk as he reclined, with a book in hand, on a chaise set against a wall on the opposite side of the room from Lisette, "and with Lizzie's short attention span, this is easily achieved."

Sola released a soft and amused laugh while Nadine's work halted for a moment before she too smiled in a bit of a conniving manner, "very well then, perhaps I should aid you in finding something with which to occupy your time? Perhaps you should perform a song for us?"

"I must say that regardless of the weather, I am rather enjoying this time we are all getting to spend with each other," Sola set her project down in her lap and looked at them all warmly, "learning new things about you all has been a pleasant highlight for us, hasn't it dear?"

Genevieve's hands paused in their motions and as they found to be typical of her, she smiled meekly and nodded, "yes, Aunt Sola."

Sola smiled affectionately at her niece, "'tis a shame that if we are to hear Miss Olivay sing that Mister Sembroline is not present!"

"Very much so! Though I assure you that my daughter has never been one to shy away from a performance so there is plenty of time to hear her again."

It was beginning to feel like any time Nadine was seeking a way to prod at Lisette that she had decided she would do it through asking her to perform. Lisette preferred to perform in her own time when she so chose and being put on the spot consistently was causing her to become a bit miffed at the whole idea. Sabien didn't lower his book, though he added his own somewhat disinterested contribution to the request, "yes Lizzie! You ought to perform for the ladies."

Reluctantly, Lisette rose from her spot at the window with a sigh, brushing off the crimson fabric of her long sleeved gown, the collar of which curved in a wide crescent from just over either of her shoulders and had a high-waist cut much like the gowns of the other ladies present the only differences being the vibrant color and collar design of her own where theirs were more tame. If he was going to aid their mother in forcing her to perform, she wasn't going to let him off easy and so donned a bright grin that was easily recognized by Sabien as a bit impish as she called attention to him as well, "of course, dear brother but only if you will accompany me."