C H A P T E R S E V E N T E E N

Best Friend~ Rex Orange County

~B A B Y S I T T E R~
"Chocky milk make the pain go away."

BLAISE LOOKS up at the sound of the bell ringing above the door. In walks her favorite young man, Saint Donovan, in his usual quiet yet demanding way. Although he's shy, his presence is very dominating when he walks into a room. Blaise just loves how he captivates the attention of anyone in the area.

"Hey honeybunch!" Blaise greets in a southern belle accent.

Saint chuckles his usual deep chuckle. "Hey Ember," he walks up to the empty counter. "How's my little bubs doing?"

Right on cue, Liz sprints out of the kitchen, covered in powdered sugar.

"Blaise! Blaise! Blaise!" She calls, rushing up to her. "Echo said that I look like a crack head. What's a crack head?"

Echo decided— after having Blaise calm down— that letting Blaise take care of the kids and work the restaurant by herself was a cruel thing to do. So she put on the "ugly piece of shit apron", as she calls it, and got to work in the kitchen.

Saint laughs. "I see you're having a fun time, bubba."

Elizabeth waves to her brother. "Damn straight." She slings her arm around Blaise's shoulder with surprising ease. "This my bitch right here. I love hangin' out with her."

Blaise bends down and picks Liz up, placing her on her hip. "Last I checked, your brother doesn't want you cussing."

She flicks her hand. "He can piss off."

Saint rolls his eyes. "Love you too, Liz."

The young girl hops down from Blaise's hip and runs back into the kitchen, yelling something as she does. Blaise turns back to her crush with a smirk.

"So how was practice, babes?" She asks as she wipes down the counter again.

Saint shrugs. "The usual. The slackers slacked and the over-achievers achieved far more than they needed to."

Blaise hums. "Sounds like a fun time."

He sighs. "Not really. I'm worried about the game next Saturday. I heard it's against one of the best teams in the county. I don't want us to lose our first game. That's bad luck. And with the shape that we're in, it seems like we're headed that way."

Blaise purses her lips in thought. "Is there anything I can do to help, buttercup?"

Saint raises an eyebrow at the new nickname.

She shrugs. "When you're around so many sweets, it gets to ya."

He chuckles lowly. Only Blaise. He thinks.