27 | Panic

Jannat's pov

Anxiously chewing my lips, my eyes are still trained on the bathroom door that was closed behind Zain.

I've never felt as stupid and idiot ever before as I am feeling now after seeing the hurt and pain in Zain's eyes.

All because of me and my carelessness.

As much as the thoughts of being in an unsafe home shivers me and brings all the memories back, I am feeling very guilty for worrying Zain. So I push back the thoughts that's bleeding my heart and I am just wishing it was a nightmare.

He was already tired after a long business trip and when he is back he is in my mess.

Never beflre wanted to slap myself as I want to do now. His red eyes were enough for me to kill me again and again.

"Inaya" I call Inaya who is placing things on the cupboard "yes?" She turns with a smile "Is someone going home or coming here, like Now?" I questioned her and she nods her head so I quickly motioned her to come near me.

"Grandma and grandpa are coming. Why?" She raises her eyebrows confused "Can you ask them to bring the cake we prepared for Zain" I whisper so it doesn't reach Zain, even though I know he can't from the way he is wasting water without closing the tap from the moment he went inside, But I am just being cautious.

Her eyes widens and she hesitates for a second "Bhai wouldn't appreciate it I think-" she mutter, but I shake my head with a chuckle knowing clearly well why she is saying that.

"He will not say anything, it will make him happy" I terribly fail in hiding my grin, Inaya still hesitates but nods "okay I will call them and tell" she slides her phone out from her pocket and I see the door closing behind aunty who smiles at me when she sees me all well.

"How is my favourite one doing?" She is spoiling me with her pampering.

I just grin feeling good seeing them.

"Done" Inaya tells me and I nod happily but my mother-in-law who is confused narrows her eyes at us.

"What is done? Things are being kept away from me? Now I am offended" I laugh when she sulks looking adorable without even trying to be.

"Secret Mamma Secret" Inaya teases her mother who rolls her eyes but eyes for an answer, just when I open my mouth the bathroom door opens and that shuts my mouth at the same speed.

"I heard the word secret" Zain questions as he walks towards us while drying his face with the hand towel "You heard wrong" I jump a little to quickly to stop his thoughts and the makes him raise his eyebrow in suspicion.

"Okay" he leaves the topic to my greatest relief. "Zain I brought lunch—" before Mamma could complete he cuts her off "I am not hungry, I'll eat later" frowning at his behaviour, I stay quiet not knowing why he looks so distant.

"But Zain you have to take med—"

"Mom" his sharp tone stops her from talking further and my heart literally trembles at how pissed he looks, "I am good I'll eat later" my frown only gets deeper and my heart clenches when Mamma nods looking completely dejected.

"I am hungry" I blurt out and Zain's head snaps so quickly towards me that I am sure I heard a crack. Goodness. Calm down.

"What do you want to eat? Wait let me check with the doctor if you can—" he quickly stands up to leave already "Zain calm down, she already explained what I have to eat and what I shouldn't to Mamma" Zain's eyes flickers towards Mamma who nods.