29 | Unbearable

Ignoring my over dramatic employees who are gaping at me because I am leaving early today, too early to my liking. But my priorities have changed, wife comes first now.

Parking my car infront of my house, I sigh at myself, this might be the first time in my life, I came back from office so early, even when I am sick it's either I don't go but if I did I don't leave until every body does.

I am welcomed like usual with my siblings fighting like dogs, barking at each other for no reason, I thought they do that to annoy me because everyday when I come from office I witness them screaming their lungs out. As if they look at clock and start their verbal fight. But Looks like it's real.

Inaya screams and drops back on the couch but when her eyes meet mine she gapes, "Ya Allah" she gasps and breathes out, "Is everybody seeing what I am seeing" I roll my eyes at how over dramatic she can be.

Ignoring her and other members look I walk towards the kitchen.

"Assalamu alaikum" Ammi jumps and drops the spatula she was holding.

Oh goodness. Please.

I walk towards the fridge to grab water "Walaikum asalam, Walaikum asalam" Ammi narrows her eyes at me but soon hums and smirks. It was now my turn to narrow my eyes at her "What's with that look?"

"Nothing son. Just seeing things I heard come true" she washes the spatula still having this annoying grin on her face.

"Mom please" sighing I lean against the counter I run my hand through my hair.

She gives the explanation I didn't ask for "I heard people saying, love brings you down on your knees, love changes people, seeing the changes for real I feel very happy" She smiles down at whatever she is cooking while stirring it.

"I am gonna make one of your favourite dish today, my son for the first time since he joined office is having lunch with us, it's a thing to celebrate" grinning to herself, her movements becomes quicker.

"Mom, After making sure Jannat ate I'll be leaving" the makes her give me the most disappointment filled glare.

"I have things to take care of Mamma, but for you I'll take a day off soon, I promise" She stays quiet and keeps herself busy, knowing I've made her very upset, I move towards her "what happened?"
I know something is bothering her.

"You are not the same after the accident, I know you don't trust us with Jannat, you blame us whatever happened and I know I should've been more careful with her but—but we love her we took care of her, I don't know how this happened—"

"Mom mom calm down, Who put this thought in your head, I don't blame anyone for what happened" at least not you or my family members "Whatever happened shook me Mamma, I just can't throw smiles and laugh like nothing happened, I am sorry If I made you feel like it was your fault because it wasn't" I am to be blamed here I shouldn't have left jannat when I knew she was in danger.

Cupping my face she gives me the most tender look, that numbs my eyes, but I clear my throat looking above her head. Because her eyes are damn convincingz

I can't be crying like a freaking kid when this is the time I gotta be tough as nails.

"Have lunch with us please" she whispers and I give in. "okay" pulling away I give her assuring smile before leaving the kitchen with my heart taking loads of weight.

Breathing out and calming my nerves and feelings down, I push open the door. My eyes automatically squints and eyebrows furrows up when I find Jannat standing in front of the mirror while palming her stomach, the grin on her face only makes me more uncomfortable.